The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Residual valves help?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

flyinbuttress
Posted 2015-09-04 9:16 PM (#488919)
Subject: Residual valves help?

Veteran

I know its not forward look but theres some pretty smart fellers on here... So heres what I did. Four wheel drum 1963 Sport Fury booster went bad. $250ish to rebuild so... I bought a booster/master combo for a four wheel drum 67 Charger for $100 new so I could also get the dual reservoir. Changed the pedal rod to match length and brake switch end for my Fury. Bled it out and it stops good but the pedal is low, not to the floor but just lower than the gas pedal while stopping. Sits up normal otherwise so I know its not pedal rod or master rod length issue. Ive seen some chatter about residual valves during dual res master swaps which are unfamiliar to me, I mean I understand how they work but just wanting some advice on them as most of what I see about them is refering to disc master swaps. Just curious if they might help. Thanx for any help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2015-09-05 4:37 AM (#488940 - in reply to #488919)
Subject: Re: Residual valves help?

Expert

The res.pressure valves keep some slight fluidpressure on the brakesystem.
This pressure varies with discs and drums.
Discs usually need 2 lbs of pressure, drums need 10 lbs, mainly because of the springs in the drum-brake which pull back the shoes.
This is to keep the pads/shoes close to the rotor/drum, so less pedal travel is needed to bring the pads/shoes up to the rotor/drum again.

I wouldn't know why your Charger (drum)brake MC has a low pedal. A drum/drum MC should have two res.press.valves built in already.
First thing coming to mind is the maybe the MC's diameter is slightly smaller.
This gives more fluidpressure to the brakesystem, but also results in a lower pedal when pressed.

Edited by BigBlockMopar 2015-09-05 4:41 AM
flyinbuttress
Posted 2015-09-05 11:58 PM (#489006 - in reply to #488940)

Veteran

Thanx for the reply. I chose the Charger master because it was the same size as the Fury. Im thinking that because of a different rear brake cylinder style may be my issue. I may just try the 10lb residual valves.
flyinbuttress
Posted 2015-09-09 1:29 PM (#489322 - in reply to #489006)

Veteran

Well... its the simple things. My low pedal was the front drum adjustment. Never checked the adjustment as the pedal felt pretty high with the old setup, but then the pedal was hard as hell with that dead booster lol. Rookie mistake for a seasoned brake guy lol
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)