The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starts fine cold. Wont fire hot
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

57belvederepa
Posted 2016-06-10 9:01 PM (#513857)
Subject: Starts fine cold. Wont fire hot

I have an 57 belvedere with a 301. Engine cranks fine and starts perfectly cold ,but after a 5 minute drive it wont fire or even try to fire. It may pop every once an a while.it has fuel. It has spark at spark plug. Im not sure how strong the spark is though. I set base timing. I filed ,checked ,and set point gap. I replaced condenser ,plug wires ,plugs, and coil. It doesnt matter if i put battery charger on batt.i noticed the coil gets very hot after a drive,but i swapped out the old coil when that coil is cold and it doesnt make a difference. I have yet to do a compression test. I know the car has a lot of blowby so i made a pcv setup just to hold me over until winter to rebuild the engine. I replaced the wire ends at the coil since they were corroded. I have the ballast resistor bypassed for now. How can i test the resistor? Any help is appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mstrug
Posted 2016-06-10 9:45 PM (#513860 - in reply to #513857)
Subject: Re: Starts fine cold. Wont fire hot

Expert 5K+

1-1.2. Not over 1.5 Most meters are not accurate the lower the resistance gets.

Short your probes together and see what the meter reads

You cannot "short" a ballast to less than it was originally built. If your meter checks it at zero, it's good. This is because they are a wire wound resistance. There is simply no way that they can FAIL with substantially less resistance than they were manufactured with.

Usually, a ballast either fails "open" or "intermittent," IE it's broken inside and makes contact some of the time.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/ballast-resistor-resist...

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/paint-body/mopp-1110-ballast-resistor-...

https://www.google.com/search?q=testing+ballast+resistor+mopar&biw=1...

Edited by mstrug 2016-06-10 9:49 PM
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2016-06-11 6:23 AM (#513873 - in reply to #513857)
Subject: Re: Starts fine cold. Wont fire hot

Expert

A coil getting too hot to touch is usually getting too much current and will short out inside.
Bridging the ballast resistor can/will cause this also.
(But if the wiring and connectors are old enough, there can be enough resistance in the electrical system to bridge the ballast for a while, to have much effect, other than the engine keeps running.)

Most old coils don't want to see more than 7-9 volts when the engine is running.

Don't forget the condenser can fail too in the distributor and can cause intermittend issues.
57chizler
Posted 2016-06-11 1:16 PM (#513889 - in reply to #513857)
Subject: RE: Starts fine cold. Wont fire hot

Expert

57belvederepa - 2016-06-10 6:01 PM
I have an 57 belvedere with a 301. Engine cranks fine and starts perfectly cold ,but after a 5 minute drive it wont fire or even try to fire. It may pop every once an a while.it has fuel.

It might not be ignition related, might be fuel.

After that 5-minute drive, shut it off and look down the carburetor throat with a flashlight to see if fuel is running from the carb into the intake manifold and causing flooding.
57belvederepa
Posted 2016-06-11 1:21 PM (#513891 - in reply to #513889)

Thanks , i will check that
57belvederepa
Posted 2016-06-13 8:23 PM (#514045 - in reply to #513857)

I checked spark with timing light on all cylinders and coil. It flashes when cranking. I checked compression on all cylinders and its only 50-80 psi . I squirted some oil in cylinders and it goes up to 150 psi. I guess that means rings are shot? Hard to believe this is causing it not to start at times especially since it has good power when cruising.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)