The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Brake Bleeding Question - 58 Plymouth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

ronbo97
Posted 2016-06-19 2:29 PM (#514511)
Subject: Brake Bleeding Question - 58 Plymouth

Expert

Leaking master cylinder was replaced. Then brakes were bled. Bleeding order: RR, LR, RFL, RFU, LFL, LFU.

Here's the problem: I bled the right front lower until I got a steady stream with no bubbles. But when I bled the right front upper, nothing came out when I opened the bleeder. Three attempts and still nothing, even when opening 180 degrees. So just to experiment, I moved on to the left side. The left front lower was bled until a steady stream. But when bleeding the left front upper, same story-- nothing came out. My helper says that pedal goes about half way down to the floor when bleeder is opened.

Power brake car, BTW. Master was bench bled before installing.

Any thoughts ?

Ron

Top of the page Bottom of the page
57chizler
Posted 2016-06-19 4:54 PM (#514517 - in reply to #514511)
Subject: RE: Brake Bleeding Question - 58 Plymouth

Expert

Probably rusted up holes in either the bleeder screw of the wheel cylinder. Remove the bleeder screw and check the holes in it and then probe the hole in the wheel cylinder with a stiff wire.
throwinwrenches
Posted 2016-06-27 10:29 PM (#515303 - in reply to #514511)
Subject: Re: Brake Bleeding Question - 58 Plymouth

Yep, remove bleeder screw entirely. Mine were gunked up badly when I did this job. A little PB Blaster and a wire brush and we're good to go. Good luck!
VAN HELSING
Posted 2016-06-28 4:26 AM (#515344 - in reply to #514511)

Elite Veteran

Agree with John and Daryl, not uncommon for bleeder screws to rust up/gunk up in either the screw itself or a small rusted area in the cylinder where the bleeder screw entry hole is and thus causing a blockage.

I use a small suitable size drill to clear the rust gunk out of the bleeder screw and then a final clearing of the crap with a paper clip/thin wire etc. I also run the thread of the bleeder on a wire wheel to clean the threads up and a small amount of anti-seize on the bleeder thread screws. Anyone who has had to replace a wheel cylinder on any make of car just because of a corroded/seized bleeder screw that has snapped off when bleeding will appreciate why anti-seize on the bleeder threads is a good idea.

ronbo97
Posted 2016-06-28 7:30 AM (#515356 - in reply to #515344)

Expert

These wheel cylinders were installed in 2008. I removed the bleeder screws and they were not gunked up at all. Then I used a small wooden shish kabab skewer to poke around in the bleed hole to clear any blockage. I haven't had a chance to retest yet. If the problem persists, my friend suggested that I need to back off the shoes all the way, then retest. I also read something like that in the shop manual.

Ron

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)