The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Total Contact Front Brakes - Can I remove the wheel cylinders with removing the support?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2024-03-20 7:45 PM (#634311)
Subject: Total Contact Front Brakes - Can I remove the wheel cylinders with removing the support?

Expert 5K+

While I am waiting for Rock Auto to deliver new front Total Contact wheel cylinders for my 56 Dodge D500 (with 56 Chrysler brakes), I've been letting the front right system drain/flush.

Being somewhat impatient, I decided to remove at least the lower (right) front wheel cylinder. I removed the return spring, the shoe retainer, the shoe, the feed tube from the upper cylinder and
the bolt that holds the wheel cylinder to the backing plate.

I then tried to remove the wheel cylinder and found that I could not get the wheel cylinder off. Hmm....

Go inside for a coffee and a read of the 56 Chrysler FSM that I bought a while back. While reading, I discover that they suggest that support plate has to be removed and the wheel cylinders re and re'd on the bench.

WHAATTT???? Makes no sense to me (but what do I know?)

The support plate and the backing plate will come off by removing the 4 bolts holding them to the spindle.

Are there no work-a-round tricks?

These:

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2024-03-20 8:48 PM (#634317 - in reply to #634311)
Subject: Re: Total Contact Front Brakes - Can I remove the wheel cylinders with removing the support?

Expert 5K+

Loosen the four bolts, and you can wiggle them out of there. I have more experience on the rears than the fronts because I always swap to discs.
56D500boy
Posted 2024-03-20 9:28 PM (#634320 - in reply to #634317)
Subject: Re: Total Contact Front Brakes - Can I remove the wheel cylinders with removing the support?

Expert 5K+

Powerflite - 2024-03-20 5:48 PM
Loosen the four bolts, and you can wiggle them out of there. I have more experience on the rears than the fronts because I always swap to discs.

Thanks for that hint Nathan. I will try that tomorrow. I just wanted the lower cylinder off so I can check it. (It looks fine now that the rubber piston cup popped off (I had the boot and pin off to get for removal clearance)).

Oddly (??) no expander between the spring and rubber cup. When I get the new wheel cylinder, I will investigate more. Either a design change or the Chinese factory cheaping out or a manufacturing error. (??)

???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)