The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fuel gauge impedance
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

61 Windsor
Posted 2005-09-19 5:30 PM (#40080)
Subject: fuel gauge impedance

I brought the windsor out to Billetproof saturday, got lots of looks! lots of "what IS that?!" too. there was another 61 newport and a 62 newport as well that parked near me. forward look!

my question is about the fuel gauge. previous owner installed a new racing fuel cell (big aluminum box) in the trunk so the original would no longer scrape (it scraped a pinhole in it!) since it's lowered a few inches. My question is about the fuel gauge. It would read about 1/2 full when the tank was full and then gradually go down to empty when the tank still had plenty in it. I'm guessing the resistance of the sender doesn't match the resistance the gauge is looking for but what exactly does the gauge want to see?

After trying to get it to work I was fiddling with it randomly (stupidly) at a light and shocked the *#%@ out of myself. Then i remembered, oops: step-up transformer for these gauges!! Unfortunately now it reads nothing no matter what's in the tank. The rest of the gauges work fine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MorePar
Posted 2005-09-21 12:49 AM (#40243 - in reply to #40080)
Subject: RE: fuel gauge impedance

So what is the question? You may have popped a fuse but it could be the guage itself.

Placing a resistor in parallel with the sending variable resistor can get the guage reading full when the tank is full and you may also have to experiment with resistors in series with the sending unit until you get the guage to read empty when the tank is empty. The values will be determined by trial and error but could be calculated if you knew the impedances in the circuit. A resistor substitution box can be used to determine the values by trial and error.

Did you research the info on the "fuel cell" ? There should be info on the sending unit they use.

I Need more info

Slim
SENIX
Posted 2005-09-21 6:24 AM (#40260 - in reply to #40080)
Subject: RE: fuel gauge impedance

Veteran

IF YOU HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL IT SHOULD TELL YOU WHAT THE GAUGE IS LOOKING FOR IN ORDER TO OBTAIN THE RIGHT READING THEN CHECK THE TANK WITH AN OHM METER A SE WHAT IT IS GIVING OFF AS IT MAY NOT BE WHAT THE PAPER WORK FOR THE TANK STATES IT SHOULD BE

SWANNY
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)