The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soft / Hard Pedal Troubleshooting
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

57Fireflite
Posted 2021-08-01 6:00 PM (#613942)
Subject: Soft / Hard Pedal Troubleshooting

Regular

I'm a total noob to FL so in doing research on my issue, one thing I learned is to isolate when diagnosing a soft, spongy pedal. Here's what's happened:

Replaced all drums with AAJ kit (including dual MC from AAJ) with so-so results - soft pedal but it stopped; very shortly after, bellows-type booster failed (rip in bellows).
Rebuilt the bellows and re-installed it but it scrapes along top of reservoir cover (btw, any danger in "manually machining" the cover down a bit (~1/16 - 1/8")) so bellows doesn't scrape?

While I wait for answer to the above, first step was to remove booster unit, test the pedal, and if soft then pinch off the lines to isolate where the softness is coming from.

Does it make sense that with the booster installed, I had a soft spongy pedal but when I remove booster and go full manual, I have a pedal so hard (and high - no air! yay!), maybe 1/4 way of travel bottoms the pedal and brings her to a stop?

There is a click in the pedal I had not noticed before - anyone know what that might be about?

I want to say there is 1/8 - 3/16" push rod travel before push rod engages -- I understand one does not want direct push rod to piston contact.

Really appreciate the help,
Jimbo

Top of the page Bottom of the page
saratoga ny
Posted 2021-08-01 6:17 PM (#613943 - in reply to #613942)
Subject: RE: Soft / Hard Pedal Troubleshooting

Regular

I can tell you what I did on my 60 Saratoga. To give me clearance to get my master top off easily. That long rectangular bracket that holds the booster, notice pitch of mount for booster, that pod area. Cut shave or add to change pitch. All your doing is slightly changing pitch of that neatly rested fork. Seems like minimal re engineering of something that seems to accept it.
Richbo
Posted 2021-08-19 11:08 PM (#614327 - in reply to #613942)
Subject: Re: Soft / Hard Pedal Troubleshooting

Veteran

Any update ??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)