The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blue 60 Saratoga Coupe
Moderators: ronbo97

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - EBAY, CRAIGSLIST & OTHER FINDSMessage format

Powerflite
Posted 2022-07-29 2:16 PM (#623283)
Subject: Blue 60 Saratoga Coupe

Expert 5K+

I like the color of it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115477900306

NO RESERVE and reasonable opening bid price!

Up for auction is my 1960Chrysler Saratoga Coupe - one of the best years and body styles of Exner design(in my opinion)

Thinning out the herd of cars at my place, here is your opportunity to own a gorgeous - and rarely seen - Saratoga Coupe

Honest private seller, have bought and sold several cars over the last 15 years on ebay and strive to give you all the information I would want to have when bidding on a car - Check my feedback.

Ask questions if you don't see what you want to know in the description below.

BACKGROUND

I bought this car - on ebay - probably5 or 6 years ago out of Ohio. Don't know much history on the car, but itis clearly a car that had been maintained cosmetically and mechanically in reasonable driver condition. I really haven't done much on the car over the years, aside from replacing the starter, battery, HVAC pushbutton controls,brake light pressure switch, and some maintenance items. It has started and ran reliably every years for the minimal amount of driving it's done. I took it to a car show end of last summer that was probably and hour drive each way with no problems. Won "People's Choice" award at a recent Father's Day car show.

In 1960, the Saratoga was a model in between higher-end New Yorker and the entry-level Windsor. Saratoga rideson the longer New Yorker wheelbase, but has a bit less trim. Many New Yorker's had the faux-spare-tire trunklid which I never cared for, love that this car has the smooth trunklid.

FEATURES

383 Golden-Lion V8

Push-button Torque-flight Trans

Rare factory A/C

Older repaint of original blue color

Grille upgraded to deeper, nicer NewYorker grille

VIDEOS

WALK AROUND CAR: https://youtu.be/y5YKJPBMtpY

UNDERCARRIAGE: https://youtube.com/shorts/t60Ctw1uJaw?feature=share

Here is a quick summary of the condition of various aspects of the car, along with my honest opinion about them. Opinions vary, so recommend you inspect yourself or have someone inspect before bidding!!

OVERALL: This is the epitome of a driver car. Starts and drives fine, looks good, could use some mechanical tinkering and improvements if you wanted, but I've driven it for over 5 years as is with no problems. Nice inside and out; not perfect but can throw the kids in the car and park wherever you want with no worries. Odo reads about 68K miles, if I were to guess that is accurate - I don't see how it could have rolled over and have been 168K miles - but can't prove one way or the other so bid accordingly. Stands out at any car show - you just do not see these Jet-Age, Exner "Forward Look" cars around anymore. If I had a Jay Leno sized warehouse (and budget), I'd park it there and never sell... but I don't! My kids are a bit grumpy that this is on the auction block.

BODY: Straight body, with some light ripples if you look down the side in the light. No evidence of any major rust issues, which was the nemesis of MOPAR cars of this era. A few rust bubbles and a stress crack on drivers side C pillar, a couple bubbles (very small) by the rocker molding, but haven't noticed anything else.

PAINT: Gorgeous paint color. Older paint job, but is holding up well as seen in pictures. Stunning car in person. Does not appear that all trim was removed when painted, which I find annoying and makes me question the quality of the rest of the paint job, but it really does look good. I'd rate the paint a 6/10 on my fairly critical scale.

CHROME/STAINLESS: All in fairly decent shape and don't think anything is missing. A couple pieces are loose on their clips(front windshield trim comes to mind) that I've had to pop back on a few times. I don't think anything has been rechromed or polished -so really it's all in exceptional shape considering it's age. Bumpers show some clouding in areas on close inspection.

GLASS: All glass (windshield, rear window, side glass) in decent shape, maybe a few scratches but no chips or cracks.

INTERIOR: Probably recovered seats and back package tray at some point it the cars life, but they did a nice job. The cloth on the seats appears to be original-type material; if not exactly correct certainly looks period correct to my eye. Even has original gold emblems on seatbacks. Front seatbelts were installed with PURPLE belt material - this was not by me. I swore that was the first thing I was going to change... but here we are, the purple belts are still there. Trunk is trimmed out with a nice carpet kit. The spare tire is probably circa late 1960's so... there's that.

HEAT + A/C: Heat works fine, A/C the compressor kicks on when you put into A/C mode but if air is cooler it's not by much. Compressor sounds a bit noisy when I was checking it out this week so may just take the belt off. Did replace the HVAC push-button controls(talk about a hard to find part) a few years back because the buttons were sticking

ENGINE: Looks like original 383, and not obvious that it has ever been out of the car. Starts and runs consistently. Some blowback through oil breather but not bad. No weird engine knocks etc. Drips oil but not majorly.

TRANSMISSION: Push-button trans functions fine. At one point there was a fair amount of trans fluid on the garage floor under the car, haven't noticed it in the last few years but also haven't checked the fluid level. No slipping that I have noticed. 1-2 shift is a bit slushy.

STEERING / SUSPENSION: This thing is a boat for sure. The steering definitely "wanders" - and heading straight down the road reminds me EXACTLY of trying to keep my boat in a straight line when not on plane. You basically bounce the wheel back and forth between the left and right, through the 8" of slop, and guide it down the road. The power steering is super power-assisted so this is all done with your thumb. Probably some adjustment work or rehab work to be done in the steering box if it bugs you, to me it was more of a feature than a bug. The suspension is soft and smooth.

BRAKES: Brakes are OK. It stops fairly straight with no weird noises or shuddering, but you do have to put some pressure on the pedal when you are going down a steep hill (like my driveway). Going through the brakes is probably on the not-to-distant future to-do list, but in my opinion safe and not particularly stressful to drive as is. The emergency brake BARELY works, and this does need to be addressed - as the push-button TF trans of the era do NOT have "PARK". I always park it on a flat surface, and have a wheel chock in the trunk if needed; but this should really be addressed. Possibly adjustable, they do start to grab but it is at the end of the e-brake pedal's travel.

ELECTRICAL: Well the big money question is yes, the super-cool Electroluminescent gauge lights work - which make the spacepod dash look really cool at night. To my knowledge, all other running lights, signals, etc. work. Interior lights and gauges work, except as noted: What does not work: Gas gauge, Horn, and clock. The GoldenTone AM radio (which was an option) works, after it warms up, to the extent you can find music on the AM dial anymore.

(Blue 60Sara RFs.jpg)

(Blue 60Sara LTs.jpg)

(Blue 60Sara RRs.jpg)

(Blue 60Sara Dashs.jpg)

(Blue 60Sara Doors.jpg)

(Blue 60Sara Engines.jpg)

(Blue 60Sara Seatss.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Blue 60Sara RFs.jpg (220KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments Blue 60Sara LTs.jpg (197KB - 53 downloads)
Attachments Blue 60Sara RRs.jpg (152KB - 53 downloads)
Attachments Blue 60Sara Dashs.jpg (182KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments Blue 60Sara Doors.jpg (140KB - 56 downloads)
Attachments Blue 60Sara Engines.jpg (170KB - 57 downloads)
Attachments Blue 60Sara Seatss.jpg (194KB - 56 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
frwl
Posted 2022-07-29 3:33 PM (#623286 - in reply to #623283)
Subject: RE: Blue 60 Saratoga Coupe

Expert

A Blue Vinyl and Blue Striped Fabric upholstery; trim code 201 for Saratoga Hardtops and 221 for Saratoga Sedan…

(trim code.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments trim code.jpg (46KB - 56 downloads)
Dan K
Posted 2022-07-31 10:47 PM (#623321 - in reply to #623283)
Subject: Re: Blue 60 Saratoga Coupe

Hi All -

This is my car, thanks for posting it here was planning on doing that tonight.

I’ve never seen a blue interior trim swatch before - based on that mine is definitely not stock but a reasonable effort to look so. The fabric portion has a cool metallic thread which makes it have that circa-1960 vibe.

Have enjoyed this car tremendously, and hope it finds a new owner who will enjoy it as I have.

Also, thanks to many of you who helped me figure out stuff on this car over the years - FL has a great community!!

Best - Dan

imopar380
Posted 2022-08-02 12:47 AM (#623333 - in reply to #623321)

Expert 5K+

Dan K - 2022-07-31 7:47 PM

Hi All -

This is my car, thanks for posting it here was planning on doing that tonight.

I’ve never seen a blue interior trim swatch before - based on that mine is definitely not stock but a reasonable effort to look so. The fabric portion has a cool metallic thread which makes it have that circa-1960 vibe.

Have enjoyed this car tremendously, and hope it finds a new owner who will enjoy it as I have.

Also, thanks to many of you who helped me figure out stuff on this car over the years - FL has a great community!!

Best - Dan

Actually, Dan, the upholstery fabric in your car is dead on correct NOS material. I have the same material in my '60 Saratoga, only in turquoise. The sample shown in the post above is correct, it is just the fact that you are seeing it up close in the sample picture makes it look different.

ABloch
Posted 2022-08-02 8:23 AM (#623337 - in reply to #623283)

Expert

DANG IT! What I would do to drive this beauty home. AND it's local to me so I wouldn't have to deal with shipping. Sometimes things are just not meant to happen.

Love the car Dan and good luck on your auction!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)