The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'55 Plymouth Heater and Defroster
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Dick K.
Posted 2023-03-30 3:01 PM (#628614)
Subject: '55 Plymouth Heater and Defroster

Was the Heater an option in '55?

Was the Defroster an option in '55?

If so, were they independent options, could you get the Defroster without the Heater and vice versa?

Asking in part because my Belvedere includes a block off plate which mimics the Heater Box, has the "X" stamped on it plus a solid circle stamped where the Heater Blower would be on the Heater Box.

If they were options and you didn't order them, what was provided where the Heater/Defroster and separate Fan switches were located on the dash?

I don't know what any previous owner would have done, but I have a Fan switch but an open hole where the Heater/Defroster switch would go.

A vintage Red Head brand compact heater was installed under the dash by a previous owner. The core and fan are in a small box where the factory heater core would have been and mounted to a metal plate that is bolted to the firewall from the engine side. I believe the factory fan switch turns it on/off but there is no provision for temp control other than to manually open and close 2 doors that direct the air flow when the fan is on. I assume this was aftermarket.

I am also missing the foot operated "summer" vent doors under the dash. Surely these were standard equipment?

Maybe the block off plate was supplied with the Red Head heater but if the factory heater and defroster were optional, maybe my Belvedere was ordered without either of these options. Hoping somebody has some answers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
56D500boy
Posted 2023-03-30 4:19 PM (#628616 - in reply to #628614)
Subject: RE: '55 Plymouth Heater and Defroster

Expert 5K+

Heater and Defroster were options but I am really surprise that your 55 didn't at least get the "summer" doors to let fresh air in.

If the car was built for a southern states, I can imagine somebody not selecting the heater and defroster option(s)
Here is an option list to review.

Here is an example 55 Plymouth with heater delete:

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-03-30 5:36 PM

(heater_delete_55_56Plymouth.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments heater_delete_55_56Plymouth.jpg (159KB - 49 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2023-03-30 4:31 PM (#628618 - in reply to #628614)
Subject: Re: '55 Plymouth Heater and Defroster

Expert 5K+

Those X panels are the original heater delete plates, so it sounds like your car didn't come with it. But I agree with Dave, that your car should have come with the fresh air doors. That was standard on everything. I'm not sure what would have come in place of the switch location when a heater isn't ordered. An open hole may be how they came, or they might have had a small plug that went into it, like for the lighter, if that wasn't ordered. If you contact Chrysler Historical, you can get an IBM card with all the options your car was ordered with.
Old Ray
Posted 2023-03-31 3:16 AM (#628629 - in reply to #628614)

Extreme Veteran

My firewall has no X panels ? (and two legged rats eat a hole in my hood) Just kidding.

(1956 Plymouth firewall 3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1956 Plymouth firewall 3.jpg (149KB - 52 downloads)
samstrader
Posted 2023-03-31 8:20 PM (#628642 - in reply to #628614)

Extreme Veteran

I have a heater in my 1955 Plymouth and everything is fit up in the two X boxes that show in Dave's photograph. Do you need a picture of the dash controls for a 1955 with a heater. I have not made live my heater and defroster system because where I live you almost never need the heater and I didn't want to risk the heater core leaking and ruining my carpet. But the heater core is still in place and the heater blower works so I can go back to operating the heater if I want.

I painted my valve covers aluminum but on Dave's picture above, the poly valve covers are painted red. Are the valve covers supposed to be red?
Powerflite
Posted 2023-03-31 8:53 PM (#628646 - in reply to #628642)

Expert 5K+

No, the '55 Plymouth poly had silver colored valve covers. The air cleaner was red, though.
Dick K.
Posted 2023-03-31 11:13 PM (#628649 - in reply to #628614)

The pic of the red car shows the same plates as on Dick's. I had thought the one marked "TOP" might have been part of the Red Head heater as that heater has been bolted to it and holes for the heater core of the Red Head heater have also been punched in it (effectively "ruining" that factory plate) but it's all good. I now understand that the Heater (with or without the Defroster) was strictly an option and Dick's car almost certainly came from the factory without it.

I believe the vent doors were removed by a previous owner for reasons unknown but as others have surmised, the "summer" vent doors were surely standard equipment. I've sourced a used set and will install them.

Wish I knew for sure if some sort of plug was used for the Fan and Heater switch holes in the dash when the heater was not ordered. If it was my car I'd be tempted to return it to "as built" from the factory but alternately I'll search for a factory Heater system and dispose of the aftermarket Red Head heater if I'm able to find one for a good price.

I will be sending away for the build info from Chrysler Historical. Didn't realize that was available. Such records are available for Pontiacs (that is my world) for a price so I was shocked to learn FCA provides the record at no cost. It will be fun to learn what it says about the factory build.

I still have other questions and will post new threads as I go along. It's been fun to talk to Dick about what I've been discovering for him about his Belvedere.

You guys have been very helpful, thanks!
samstrader
Posted 2023-04-01 4:52 PM (#628667 - in reply to #628646)

Extreme Veteran

No, the '55 Plymouth poly had silver colored valve covers. The air cleaner was red, though.

Thank Nathan,  I got mine right.  I think I remember seeing the silver colored valve covers on it 20 something years ago but didn't rememeber if I was remembering right.

Sam

Dick K.
Posted 2023-04-03 5:35 PM (#628713 - in reply to #628614)

I have been trying to figure out everything that would be needed to add a complete heater system to the '55 Belvedere, with or without the defroster blower system.

In the opening post, I mentioned that the car includes a "factory fan switch" mounted just to the right of where I believe the Heater switch (or Heater/Defroster switch) would go.

I now realize the fan switch is not "factory" at all.

I now think the Temperature Control switch would be mounted where this "FAN" switch is currently located. I believe the temp control must have been connected by cable to the water valve that I think must have controlled water flow thru the heater core?

I have a better understanding of the system, but still not sure what each component should look like. Before I start buying pieces, I'm hoping to get a better idea of what the parts look like. Could somebody post a picture of the two switches as mounted on the dash? Also a pic of where the water valve is mounted. Pictures of the complete switches would be useful too if somebody has pics of them.
Powerflite
Posted 2023-04-03 11:28 PM (#628723 - in reply to #628713)

Expert 5K+

Yes, the TEMP controller moves a cable that runs down to the water valve. I might have a lot of the parts from the '56 Fury that I parted out.
samstrader
Posted 2023-04-12 4:06 AM (#628887 - in reply to #628614)

Extreme Veteran

Could somebody post a picture of the two switches as mounted on the dash? Also a pic of where the water valve is mounted. Pictures of the complete switches would be useful too if somebody has pics of them.

I'll take a pictue of the dash switches and the heater control valve tomorrow and post it.  Sorry to be so late on this reply.

samstrader
Posted 2023-04-17 11:09 PM (#628971 - in reply to #628614)

Extreme Veteran

Here are the pictures of my 1955 Plymouth heater system knobs and controller mounting. Sorry so late.

Sam

(Heater Control Knobs.jpg)

(Temp Control.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Heater Control Knobs.jpg (156KB - 44 downloads)
Attachments Temp Control.jpg (194KB - 48 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)