The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Door stuck closed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Kato
Posted 2023-06-04 6:02 PM (#629992)
Subject: Door stuck closed

Hi, folks. I have a 1956 DeSoto Firedome sedan that I picked up in November, and now I'm in a bit of a jam. The front passenger door is closed and not responding to either handle, inside or out. It balked at opening one day but I was able to open it with a good shove (after partially stripping the threads on the external door handle trying to pull it open). I closed it and it closed great (the hinges are fine and it closes easily, so I don't think it's binding), but now it is stuck in the closed position. Because the outer door handle partially stripped its threads, I've been able to work it mostly loose and can see the latch mechanism inside the door, and I ordered a used unit off eBay, which I have in my possession. So here's the situation with the latch: so far as I can tell, when you operate either door handle you turn an arm that ends in a pawl that prevents the star wheel from spinning. This pawl has two other pawls that align with it and are operated by the primary, and all three have a dedicated spring that holds them against the wheel to secure the door. When I pull on either handle (or fully press the outer button with my finger when the handle's out of the way) I am feeling the spring resist me, but only one of the springs is moving. When I operate the replacement part, all of the pawls and springs move. So I believe that whatever method that was used to secure the middle and opposite pawl to the primary has failed, and I'm releasing only one of the three and that's why the door won't budge.

I read a few of the posts about doors that won't stay closed, and it was mentioned that a broken spring(s) can cause the star wheel.to spin freely and prevent the door from latching, soooo.... Am I wrong to think that if I can manage to break the springs (which I can see and touch through the external door hole with the handle slid down) that the door may just fall open at that point? I just spent some time trying to cut them with a chisel or drill into them with no luck either way, so does anyone have any ideas or tricks to get this door open?

Thanks to all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Darryl T
Posted 2023-06-05 4:14 PM (#630008 - in reply to #629992)
Subject: Re: Door stuck closed

Extreme Veteran

I recently had the same problem with my 57 Dodge which I assume is similar. You are right about the 3 layer pawl - due to wear and poor design, one or both of the lower pawls will fail to disengage. I was able to open my door by using a long screwdriver and working the pawls back. In my case I took the latch apart and welded the 3 pawls together. Alternatively you could build up the tab that engages the lower 2. Since you have a replacement latch I suggest inspecting it for wear and maybe modifying it accordingly.
Kato
Posted 2023-06-05 6:30 PM (#630011 - in reply to #630008)
Subject: Re: Door stuck closed

Thanks for the advice and pointers. Today I was able to modify (break) the latch to release the spring arms that hold the pawls against the wheel, but the pawls are still locking the wheel in place. The pawls need to come forward, towards the outside of the door, and I'm calling it a day while I try to figure out how to get something behind them to pull them forward. I don't want to go through the inside of the door if possible because the panel is in great shape. I'm wondering if I can find a magnet I could use to pull the pawls towards me....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)