The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

'55 Dodge 270 Hemi distributor interchange question...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

Dana
Posted 2006-12-05 5:12 PM (#69206)
Subject: '55 Dodge 270 Hemi distributor interchange question...

New User

I’m hoping someone will come to my rescue!

I’m about finished with a rebuild on a ’55 Dodge 270 Super Red Ram Hemi (I know you all know it’s a “Super Red Ram” and a “Hemi”… I just like saying it all together! : ) And I’ve come to the distributor dilemma. I thought I read somewhere that most distributors were just about the only thing that interchanged on these old Chrysler/DeSoto/Dodge Hemis. But, I’d like to use a newer electronic version… but don’t want to pop the hundreds of dollars for the ones I’ve seen.

Any suggestions on a good, little more modern distributor I could use? Perhaps with even a little modification (I’m not an engineer, but I’ve got a grinder and a big hammer… : )

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!! I used to visit this forum years ago, but not in a loooong time. And the forums I do frequent (dodgepowerwagon.com and the M-37 forum… which, by the way, this Hemi is going in a ’54 Dodge M-37 4X4) I’ve asked some folks there but they’re not Old Dodge Hemi Aficionados, so I turned to you folks for HELLLLLPPPP!!!!

Thanks Gang!!
Dana
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DeSotohead
Posted 2006-12-05 7:49 PM (#69214 - in reply to #69206)
Subject: RE: '55 Dodge 270 Hemi distributor interchange question...

Board Moderator

Dana...

You are in luck!
The low-deck Dodge hemi/poly block (241, 259, and 270 CID) has the same deck height for a distributor as the "A" poly (277, 301,303,313 Canadian, 318, and 326)and "LA" MOPAR (273, 318, 340, 360) plus Magnum (5.2L and 5.9L) smallblocks.

So the MOPAR electronic distributor conversion kit is available.

And also any of the Pertronix, MSD, Accel, Mallory or other distributors and kits that fit those later engines.

So just pick the setup you like best and do it!
Dana
Posted 2006-12-06 11:30 AM (#69249 - in reply to #69214)
Subject: RE: '55 Dodge 270 Hemi distributor interchange question...

New User

Thanks!! I thought I'd read that there were several options before popping hundreds of bucks. My buddy's dad has a dead '74 Chrysler (something-or-other model), with a 318 that I can scavage from that should work then!

Thanks again!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)