The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Club, Is this 58 Windsor worth restoring?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

DeSotoRevival
Posted 2007-01-20 12:12 PM (#72738)
Subject: New to Club, Is this 58 Windsor worth restoring?

Hello everyone! My name is Carey. I am located in central Nebraska and have been enjoying this web site for about 4 years now and decided it is time to become more active with it.

I have had a 1957 Desoto Firedome 4 dr sedan that is nearly all original and is in fairly nice condition. I have had it since 1988. It has mostly been in storage for that amount of time but I did get it out and repair some of the mechanics on it 2 years ago. It was originaly a North Dakota car. Colors are white with an orange top and orange stripe. Some of the options are tinted windows, power steering and brakes, twin antennas, dual headlights, bumper guards, and tinted see-through blue sunvisors.

I also have a 1958 Chrysler New Yorker 4 dr sedan parts car - someone removed engine and I bought the rest of the car from salvage yard.

My highschool car was a 1967 Plymouth Satellite 2 dr HDTP which I also still have.

This summer another car was added to the collection and it was a rusty e-bay purchase. It is a 1958 C Chrysler Windsor 2 dr hardtop with the V shapped side trim which is missing. I new this car was rusty and did not pay much for it. Actually it is in very rough condition and is not worth restoring as far as value wise but I like these these cars for there beauty and not there value and have attached some pictures to get your opinions on this car. I know it would be time consuming and work intensive especially for someone such as me who is not an autobody expert. Anyway I just wanted to see what you fellow forward lookers think should be done with it. If I do restore it it will be all original as would all of my cars.

(1958 Chrysler Windsor drivers side resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor drivers side rocker panel resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor drivers side quarter panel resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor rear view resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor trunk floor rear resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor trunk floor passenger side resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor passenger side quarter panel 2 resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor passenger side rocker panel resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor passenger side floor pan resize.jpg)

(1958 Chrysler Windsor front view resize.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor drivers side resize.jpg (90KB - 124 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor drivers side rocker panel resize.jpg (86KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor drivers side quarter panel resize.jpg (91KB - 117 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor rear view resize.jpg (94KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor trunk floor rear resize.jpg (92KB - 119 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor trunk floor passenger side resize.jpg (96KB - 112 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor passenger side quarter panel 2 resize.jpg (96KB - 113 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor passenger side rocker panel resize.jpg (81KB - 122 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor passenger side floor pan resize.jpg (90KB - 120 downloads)
Attachments 1958 Chrysler Windsor front view resize.jpg (96KB - 117 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RustyNewYorker
Posted 2007-01-24 3:15 AM (#73021 - in reply to #72738)
Subject: Re: New to Club, Is this 58 Windsor worth restoring?

As long as the frame is solid all the way through, floors are about the same as a 4dr, the left quarter looks to be able to be patched from sedan parts, and the trim and such can be found. I used to know where one just like this sat, red and black, but sat right on the ground and I was fairly sure the frame was bad in it.

The frames rot at both ends where the spring shackles are, and the middle seam where it kicks up to clear the axle often rots out.

If the frame is bad and your New Yorker parts car is in good shape, I would consider transplanting the 2dr body shell to the sedan frame, floors, and using it's front clip.

Either way it's not a project for the faint of heart, but it's not impossible. If you can perform much of the labor yourself, then it becomes a matter more of time than money. If I wanted one of these, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in. Around here, the test if you can't see the frame or it's starting to rot is to have someone 200 lbs or so stand on the very end of the trunk or on the bumper on one side and shift his weight up and down - while someone else checks the opposite side top of the rear window to see if there is any movement. If the glass moves, the frame is shot.
57burb
Posted 2007-01-25 6:35 PM (#73131 - in reply to #72738)
Subject: RE: New to Club, Is this 58 Windsor worth restoring?

Expert

lol @ that structural test.

The coupe looks good for parts. Or if you're ambitious, use one of your sedans as parts for this car. Body swap with a front clip change and floor/trunk repair is feasible.

Like to see that DeSoto btw.. orange?

Danny
gtx67
Posted 2007-01-26 12:28 PM (#73209 - in reply to #73131)

Regular

I agree on the body swap. I am doing just that on a 60 Phoenix convertible and its not that difficult. Save her one way or another. You just don't see to many Windsor 2 doors. P.S. I may have a NOS piece or two for it.
My58PlymouthFury
Posted 2007-01-27 7:54 PM (#73319 - in reply to #73209)

Extreme Veteran

+1 on the "Go for it!" advise. I have repaired body shells in worse shape, and if you have a donor frame, well then it's just a matter of cutting and welding (and money or course). Good luck.

Dave W.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)