The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

57 D500 convertible, (Neils Possibly)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

1959Dodge
Posted 2007-09-14 10:59 PM (#96733 - in reply to #96730)
Subject: Re: 57 D500 convertible, (Neils Possibly)

Expert

59 Plymouth Gorgeous car, I have a friend that has a black 59 Sport Fury Convertible and a gorgeous interior.
There are few forward cars I do not like, I find some of the comments here, "peculiar" at the very least, sounds like Chebbie folks have swithed to Desotos now?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
1955Coronado
Posted 2007-09-14 11:10 PM (#96735 - in reply to #73828)

Expert

Yep. Solid black 2 door hardtop is what I want. The last FL car I came thisclose to owning was a solid black '59 Fury 2 door hardtop - it was love at first sight and the reason for my moniker here.

Paid 20% down on her - not a showy car, but a classic, solid and straight survivor w/rebuilt 318, rebuilt torqueflite, rebuilt front suspension and 100% rust free that shined up good - then was promptly laid off of my job a few days before finalizing the sale. My '57 Lincoln was stolen the year before (1996) and I was so close to owning this Fury I could taste it.

Been yearning ever since.....
345 DeSoto
Posted 2007-09-14 11:12 PM (#96737 - in reply to #73828)

Expert

1959Dodge,
Don't wonder, KNOW! I have been running Mopars exclusively since 1965, starting with a Dodge Hemi Coronet that I took to the Winter Nationals that year. And no, I have never owned a Che*y. Now you can go ahead and run off at the mouth on this thread, but as for me, I don't engage in pissing contests with people I've never met. And that's the end of it, on this thread, for me...
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2007-09-15 12:25 AM (#96746 - in reply to #96730)

1959Fury - 2007-09-15 7:46 PM

Eh', everyone's got their perspective.

From a few posts I've seen in the last couple of months, I know I'll probably get a small ration of s**t about "those darn reverse canted fins" once I get my '59 Fury/Sport Fury 2 door hardtop.

Now me, I personally like the '59 Plymouth fins - they're clean, uncluttered and make a statement, coming or going - but, IMO, the '57-'58 DeSoto fins are a TOUGH act to follow.

Everyone is free to like what they want. I just happen to not really care for what Lord Exner presented for the 59 lineup. I like my fins hanging out farther at the tip than the base. I do not care for the bass mouth grill and angry eyebrows the Dodge got for 59. That's just my opinion. I know I am in a small minority against the vast majority that think 59 Dodge was the best year for Dodge through the FL era. I accept that.

Unless you are quite well off, most of us are restricted to owning just one or two of these cars. That, in itself, causes me to be more discerning about which ones I really like over which ones are just neat. There is a 59 Dodge sedan not far from me. I just love to drive by it and see it there. It is a cool car. Would I want to divert funds to buy and fix this car up over say, our 56 Dodge or the DeSoto ? No, .... I like the cars I have way more than the 59 Dodge design. Pretty simple reasoning, isn't it ? I am not picking on people who like or own 59 Dodges by saying they rank low on my rating of FL cars. It is just how I rank them out by preference. We all have our preferences. We all need to have a little thicker skin. This isn't personal.

I think this might make for an interesting new thread ..... top ten picks.
1959Dodge
Posted 2007-09-15 8:41 AM (#96760 - in reply to #96746)

Expert

My gripe was never about anybody preferring Desoto's over other FL cars. I would have a heck of a time, if I had to make a choice between a 59 Dodge and a 58 Desoto (Convertibles)
What bothers me is running down cars , other than Desotos, There are just a few of the FL cars that do not particularly interest me, but the last thing I would do is call them a Sow's ear, as the ppl that own those cars luv them as much as we do ours.
From a comment or 2, that was posted here, one would think that they thought (the posters), that a 59 Dodge is lower than a 57 Ch**y , (unless there is a part of the sow left, that is worse than her ears)

Anyway, We all like FL Car, seems like we should save our insults, and tell more about the positive things about our cars.
Talk about the last drive ya did, or improvements or whatever.
I really enjoyed seeing the "Pedal to the Metal" of the 58 Plymouth on U Tube.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2007-09-15 12:09 PM (#96773 - in reply to #96760)

Perhaps a deep breath and a step back on such a serious take is in order ?

ALL finned cars are ugly ! Don't you remember 1974 ? You were chided and laughed at for driving a car like ours. Did it stop you or change your mind ? I see it didn't. So what is the problem with being light hearted about ultimately winning "the war" and coming out on top ?

Even the movie Christine portrayed this public disdain well. Isn't that what drove us all on ? Have a laugh. You drive a batmobile. So do I. And I would not have it any other way. From your spending habits, I can see we both agree on that point too.

1955Coronado
Posted 2007-09-15 6:39 PM (#96796 - in reply to #73828)

Expert

Ah yes, "batmobile". My '57 Lincoln was referred to that a lot as well - mostly by the younger crowd (of which I was a member when I had the car back in the early-mid '90's). Or, yells of "where's the afterburners?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!".

Screw 'em - their rice-burners and molded plastic wonders never could cruise at 115 mph like my '57.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2007-09-16 12:52 PM (#96813 - in reply to #96796)

1959Fury - 2007-09-16 3:39 PM

Ah yes, "batmobile". My '57 Lincoln was referred to that a lot as well - mostly by the younger crowd (of which I was a member when I had the car back in the early-mid '90's). Or, yells of "where's the afterburners?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!".

Screw 'em - their rice-burners and molded plastic wonders never could cruise at 115 mph like my '57. ;)

The "Car of the Day" back then was the Datsun 240 / 260 / 280 Z

The Corvette had become a full-blown Tupperware product, leaving only the Camero / TransAm as cars with both looks and *some* performance.

Chrysler was busy trying to build a better Chevette.

Ford? Can we say "Fairmont" ?

Sweet!

Twas dismal times in Cartown.

Yet, these boobs had the nerve to suggest it was US with the finned cars that were whacked in the head !

I got good at saying "Yeah, ..... whatever."

I wonder what rock all those rats scurried under ?
1959Dodge
Posted 2007-09-16 7:20 PM (#96836 - in reply to #73828)

Expert

yep I agree with you Doc,, Ya know what would shock the "You know what outta me", is to attend a car show, see another Fin car, hava lil chat with the owner, and find out He hated my car, I would probably think I misentered my car in a "Generous Motors" car show.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2007-09-16 8:03 PM (#96844 - in reply to #96836)

1959Dodge - 2007-09-17 4:20 PM

yep I agree with you Doc,, Ya know what would shock the "You know what outta me", is to attend a car show, see another Fin car, hava lil chat with the owner, and find out He hated my car, I would probably think I misentered my car in a "Generous Motors" car show.

This is where I go sideways on the typical old car guy mentality - I started the NDC's NW chapter with the help of John "fourdoor" Fay back about 1991. It was a lot of fun, a lot of work, and even more BS.

Car shows and related functions were a big deal for our membership, which during my tenure as "chief" approached 100 paying members. We attended many car shows as a group and even hosted our own. Frankly, I got so burned out on dipweeds and egos that even if they had a neat car it wasn't worth dealing with the ego to enjoy the car, you know ? So, I guess I know exactly what you mean. Too many people with a weird competitive attitude about fighting over a stupid, meaningless award, with their cliche poodle skirts and drive-in tray, fuzzy dice and Jame Dean cut-out ..... barf !

This is how 98% or more of the old car hobby thinks we are required to interface and socialize. No thanks. Competition breeds rancor, and let's be honest, at best you're going to win a trophy. A trophy ? Some gold plated POS worth negative money to dispose of at a landfill, and we all trade our good will and friendly attitude towards one another for the chance at a gold colored hunk of plastic ?

I gave up on car shows and on car clubs because no one can think outside the paradigm. How about a nice car tour to a nice place to eat and socialize? Maybe a garage tour, or a tour out to some restoration shop? Now this seems like actual fun. But all I ever find is people set up in sweltering parking lots with lawn chairs and sunbrellas, hoods up, hoping to beat out their neighbor for that coveted piece of gold plastic.

That is almost as fun as having your toenails yanked out. There had GOT to be a better way.

Bottom line ? You gotta like your own car and just enjoy it, regardless of what anyone else has to say about it. It isn't about ribbons and trophies, it's about fins and door handles and fuel pumps, and friends who know exactly what you go through to have and enjoy that car. All the trophies in the world don't add up to a pile pf poop, but if you enjoy your car and have a good time just being around it, then Amigo, you have found Nirvana.

Let the dipweeds say what they will. Everyone has their opinions. Be glad everyone doesn't love your car like you do or you wouldn't be able to afford it in the first place.

BTW - I can be critical of my own car too, ... I don't like 58 DeSoto side trim. 57 is much better looking (in MY opinion!)
1955Coronado
Posted 2007-09-16 8:32 PM (#96849 - in reply to #73828)

Expert

Well said and wholeheartedly agreed, Doc.

I have/had my cars because I like & enjoy them, not to search for someone else's affirmation or approval. If you like it, come up, shake a hand and conversate - meeting others with common interests and tastes is always cool as hell. If you don't like my ride, keep your yap shut, walk on by and build something YOU like instead of hoisting a weak attempt at pumping yourself up at another's expense.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2007-09-16 8:53 PM (#96853 - in reply to #96849)

1959Fury - 2007-09-17 5:32 PM

Well said and wholeheartedly agreed, Doc.

I have/had my cars because I like & enjoy them, not to search for someone else's affirmation or approval. If you like it, come up, shake a hand and conversate - meeting others with common interests and tastes is always cool as hell. If you don't like my ride, keep your yap shut, walk on by and build something YOU like instead of hoisting a weak attempt at pumping yourself up at another's expense.

"Yes" and "no" on that last bit. Afterall, they are only opinions. I draw the line at the intention .... if someone is being disrespectful, then it is not cool. If you want to ethereally discuss the finer points of design aesthetics, then by all means, be critical all you want.

You like 59 Plymouths. You could probably give me 20 reasons why THAT is the *coolest* car to ever wear four tires, right ?

Now, I don't particularly like what happened to the entire lineup for 59, and could cite as many reasons why I find them "not-so-appealing". It isn't that I have any desire to "overrule" your preferences, ... but it might be fun to hear you out on why and how you arrived at liking what I do not. As long as we all remain respectful, it is good discourse and actually fun and enlightening.

Of course, I hear you when it is mentioned about the put-downs. That is the norm, unfortunately. I like to joke around about my ugly cars and pretty much expect others to be of like mind. If you are as old as I am (or have been driving these as long) you well remember the across-the-board shunning you got driving these *ugly* beasts.

I know better. I have great taste. Just ask Barrett-Jackson !

I think it pretty much forces the attitude regarding anyone who wants to be a put down ...... OK, so they are *ugly*. Guess what ? I got one and you don't !

I am good with that.
1955Coronado
Posted 2007-09-16 9:17 PM (#96858 - in reply to #73828)

Expert

Sorry, Doc. Should've been clearer.

A civil conversation? Hell yes, please. Just that the vast majority of shows I've been to have been nearer to cutting contests with folks with their noses so high in the air that they'd never drown in a flood than a show of mutual appreciation - so naturally I expect the other side of the commentary to be on the snide side where shows are concerned, you know?

I mean, with ALL cars, to one or another, each must have more good than bad about 'em - otherwise, you/I wouldn't have it. Hell, let's bask, not battle, you know?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)