The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

door latch rebuild/refix
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> 1955-1961 Forward Look MoPar General DiscussionMessage format

alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-06-25 11:38 PM (#7945)
Subject: door latch rebuild/refix

Wise Old Village Idiot

Ok, sometime ago over on the old site, someone was wanting NOS Plymouth door latch(s). I remember this because I had a NOS '57, 8, 9 Ply latch. (BF). Which side, I don't remember.
Anyway, when I got my Belvy, the driver's side door handle felt like two pieces of metal rubbing together, when the handle was pulled out. Plus, there was a gap between the first 'unlock' and the second. It felt like there wan't going to be any. Also sometimes, the door would not latch at all when closing.
So, I wanted to remedy this before it broke total.
So I took a latch off a '58 NYer 4 door rear door. Rear doors are not used as much as the fronts.
I figured that they had to be the same.
You can look at these 'lousy' pictures and see the procedure on rebuilding Ply door latches.
In the pictures the NYer latch is on the left. The Belvy latch is on the right. You can see that the 'pin' was about ready to pull out. This was the cause of the 'gap' between the first unlock and the least. Also someone welded the roller pin mount. This caused the roller to bind and not catch the 'srtiker' plate on the door jam.
As you can see, both latches are identical. Only the linkage to the outside handle is differnt. The NYer lifts up, the Belvy pulls out. Also the rubber stop on the Belvy is missing.
I ground off the rivet heads that held the linkage on. I made some 1/4" bolts that the lock nut would bottom before totally binding the linkage.
Ok, there are a set of 'collars,' you'll see on the rivet heads, that you will have to have made, that will go over the 1/4" bolts.
I was lucky to have an old biker buddy with a little lathe in his garage. You can see the collars in the one picture.
In one picture, is the finished product all litham greased up ready to install.
Also, I polished the outside roller bracket, the door jam striker plate. Plus all of the covers, screws, and bolts. Just to be differnt. You can see how the Belvy striker plate was wore because of misadjustment, beside the polished NYer plate.
That silver insulation material is what makes the door sould like a safe 'thud' when it closes. Remember the one scene in the movie when Junkins approches Arnie in the school parking lot, and the 'solid' sound the door made when he closed it?
Now to gut the entire interior, and insluate the rest of the car. This insulation topic was hashed many times on the old site. You can get this double foil sided bubble stuff, that's a 1/4" thick, at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Put this stuff on the entire inside of a sedan, the heater or A/C doesn't have to work so hard. Like riding inside a cooler.
There are little brass guides that are under the striker plate. Those look good polished.

(PLY DR LATCH 1.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 1.jpg (96KB - 154 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 6.jpg (89KB - 132 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-06-26 12:16 AM (#7946 - in reply to #7945)
Subject: RE: door latch rebuild/refix

Wise Old Village Idiot

picture proceture screwed up. more.

(PLY DR LATCH 3.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 4.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 5.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 9.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 10.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 11.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 12.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 18.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 13.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 14.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 15.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 16.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 17.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 19.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 20.jpg)

(PLY DR LATCH 21.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 3.jpg (88KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 4.jpg (91KB - 133 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 5.jpg (67KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 9.jpg (87KB - 141 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 10.jpg (60KB - 126 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 11.jpg (87KB - 125 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 12.jpg (75KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 18.jpg (66KB - 134 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 13.jpg (71KB - 132 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 14.jpg (88KB - 131 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 15.jpg (66KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 16.jpg (65KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 17.jpg (67KB - 139 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 19.jpg (85KB - 135 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 20.jpg (63KB - 129 downloads)
Attachments PLY DR LATCH 21.jpg (78KB - 139 downloads)
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-06-29 9:42 AM (#8072 - in reply to #7945)

Wise Old Village Idiot

I had a couple of e-mails asking about what these 'collars' did, I was talking about ,that had to be made.
Here is another picture.
Notice the collar or shoulder on the rivet, That is there so the linkage will be able to move while the rivet is tight against the latch.
To duplicate the 'rivet I used 1/4" bolts that don't have the threads going all the way lto the head. I then measured the distance of the rivet and ran threads up the bolt and stopped at the same length as what the rivet was.
Now you can tighten down the lock nut really tight against the latch and the linkage won't bind or drag. Cut the remainding bolt threads off flush with the lock nut.

(IMG_0140.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0140.jpg (93KB - 129 downloads)
62chrysler
Posted 2004-06-29 1:30 PM (#8081 - in reply to #7945)

Account Suspended (Steve Hobby Alias)

By Gaud da' mannn has a good idea dere! LOL

GOOD job Rick. Very well documented.
Pete
Posted 2004-06-30 11:05 PM (#8159 - in reply to #7945)

Veteran

I once said he was a professor in disguise!!!!!
62chrysler
Posted 2004-06-30 11:38 PM (#8163 - in reply to #7945)

We're going to have to call him Doc Rick from now on. LOL Of coarse, we'll haveto ship him a shoe horn to get his head through the door, but that's OK. Rick Earned it.
alumcanTandThd
Posted 2004-07-01 5:34 AM (#8175 - in reply to #7945)

Wise Old Village Idiot

Shoehorn!? You can take that shoehorn 0f yours, stick the small end in yer belly button, and try and play "Dixie" with the other end. Whoo-Haw!
Maybe "Dixie" is too complicated for you 'long haired, loud mouth, Yankee hippies.' "3 blind mice" should be no problem for you to start with.
You guys that got the doors apart on your '57, 8's, look at the pin on the latch.
My passenger door seemed to open and close just fine. A LOT better than the driver's door did.
But, after re-building the driver's side, it was working so good, that I noticed a slight 'hesitation' ( it that's what you want to call it) on the passenger door now, when I opened it.
So, I took the passenger side door latch off, and the pin is bent, ready to fall out , just like the driver's side picture. Only the slide behind the pin is wore deeper than the driver's side was. (No grease) The rubber stop is there, and there is no welding done on this latch. This car is suposidley to have 64K miles on it.
The NYer 4 D, I took the rear door latches off of, has 400K miles on it!
Is this bent pin a Plymouth 'trait', because the latch is designed wrong, with undue stress placed on that pin becaue of the 'pull out' action of the outside door handle? Like I said, the others, the handle pull's up.
Just courious as to why 'both' pins were bent, ready to fall out.
Once the upholstery panel is off, it takes less than 5 minutes to remove the latch. Check 'em out.
62chrysler
Posted 2004-07-01 9:24 AM (#8181 - in reply to #7945)

LOL

Hey Doc! Where ya' been? Jessica tells me you won't be at Carlisle??? And why. Good Luck my man.

Phew!!! I thought you were going to tell me where else to put the shoe Horn. Would probably fit. . . And by the way, I am a SHORT HAIRED, loud mouth Yankee Hippe.
57PlymouthNC
Posted 2009-03-03 3:10 PM (#165612 - in reply to #7945)
Subject: Re: door latch rebuild/refix

Extreme Veteran

Threads on door locks & latches are all over the place here, stuck in various forums (the search function actually worked today--yay--so at least I found the posts I was looking for). This thread is by far the most detailed (thanx alumcan), so I'll add my inquiry here.

The driver's front door latch on the 1957 Belvedere seems to have worn out. The rear driver's side has been gone for decades (back door stays tied closed), thanks to an idiot "playing" with the doors on the day I bought the car, in 1982, repeatedly slamming & jerking the door open etc. I haven't taken the front driver's door apart yet, to see what the exact problem is. It worked fine until recently.
Anyone have door latches to fit a 57 Belvedere? (Again, need driver's side front, driver's rear)? Any updated info on what latches will fit a 57 Plymouth?
I posted in the Wanted section before I realized I should've said "door latch" not "lock".
Both doors close ok but just don't "catch"--- can't be locked, will not stay closed, etc. Given everything else that has to be done on this car (after wayyyy too long away from home, at the shop, I think I'd be better off replacing the latch with an already-workable part, unless the modication is faster and easier than I'm thinking.... .
Thanks.

Sam
1956 Pontiac Star Chief
1957 Plymouth Belvedere
1961 Ford Fairlane
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2009-03-03 7:02 PM (#165646 - in reply to #7945)

Expert 5K+

It may only need cleaned and lubed.......................MO
61plymy
Posted 2009-03-05 3:08 PM (#165800 - in reply to #7945)
Subject: Re: door latch rebuild/refix

Expert

I mentioned this before, and re-perusing Can mans pictures reminded me again..........doesn't ANYONE worry about the fact that just 3 little 10-32 flat head screws on the post latch piece are all that keeps that door from opening or crashing in on you should you be T-boned?

Mike
Rob
Posted 2009-03-08 9:05 PM (#166216 - in reply to #7945)

Elite Veteran

Thank you for the very informative article.

As for 61Plymy, safety was not a big thing back then, the automakers always fought the proposed safety regulations, I'm glad safety is a priority now.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)