The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sticking LF Brake
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Brakes, Wheels and TiresMessage format

NewportBob
Posted 2008-05-19 12:54 PM (#130578)
Subject: Sticking LF Brake

Regular

My car is in the body shop, where the good guys over there let me show up any time. Problem is, when they (or I) move the car around the shop, the left front brake locks up. If I back up a bit, the brake releases, but whenever I hit the brakes more than slightly, that wheel locks up solidly.

The car's a '61 Newport, and I redid the brakes from the inside out: new (dual) master cylindar, all new lines and hoses, new wheel cylinders (there are two in each front wheel), resurfaced drums.

Do I have that wheel adjusted too tightly? What else?

I'll have to take the wheel apart, but I'd like to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your advice,
Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
57plymouth
Posted 2008-05-19 1:12 PM (#130582 - in reply to #130578)
Subject: Re: Sticking LF Brake

Expert

It could be one of three things:

Shoes are too tight. Back them off and try again

Wheel cyl. is leaking, which can make one shoe hang up. If everything is dry, that isn't it.

Saturated shoes. If the old shoes are still on it and the wheel cyls. leaked, sometimes they get saturated and hang up. A quick fix is to sand the shoes with coarse sandpaper. That is a band-aid fix, the shoes will have to be replaced or relined in time.

If I were you, I'd start by adjusting the shoes. That's usually the problem.
phins
Posted 2008-05-19 3:56 PM (#130625 - in reply to #130578)
Subject: RE: Sticking LF Brake

Elite Veteran

i just had the same problem. it was the rubber brake hose. it was closed up internaly. it looked great on the outside but would only allow fluid to go one way. mine also would release when i backed up, but it would lock up soon afterward. i took it off and tried to blow thru it, thats how i found it.
59CRL
Posted 2008-05-19 4:45 PM (#130634 - in reply to #130578)

Expert

I have the same problem.... since you changed everything and it is new.....
try to replace the return springs, and make sure the shoes are really clean,
no grease or contaminants I would say bad and sticking wheel cylinders, but
since you replaced them it couldnt be that. Im tired of the drums and
ordered AAJ disc brakes for the front..... good luck...drums are a nightmare.
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2008-05-19 7:43 PM (#130661 - in reply to #130578)

Expert

... or... just regrind the leading edges of the drumbrake-linings at a 45-60 degree angle with a file or angle-grinder. Wear eye, mouth&nose protection.
Usually 'grabby' brakes are caused by either a lot of brakedust inside the drum, or a squared edged brakelining which will self-energize like crazy when cold, and only release when you back off the car a little.
3rd reason could be that one of the linings has lost, or is losing it's bond to the brake-shoe itself.

My '62 NewYorker wagon has the same problem as you're describing on the RF.
Shep
Posted 2008-05-19 8:27 PM (#130676 - in reply to #130578)

Expert

All good basic brake diagnostic info, but someone still has to take it apart and look, right?
NewportBob
Posted 2008-05-20 3:09 PM (#130792 - in reply to #130578)

Regular

That's right: it looks like I'll be taking the wheel apart in the next couple of weeks. But I've got a good idea of what to look for and even a strategy (filing the leading edges) if I can't find anything else amiss. I will try readjusting the brakes, which I've been finding harder than it sounds. In case anyone's reading this to learn how, and in case someone's got a better way, this is what I know:

First, there are two adjusters behind each wheel (so one for every shoe). They move an eccentric which moves the shoe. A deep, six-point socket fits nicely on the adjusters, which all tighting IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE FORWARD SPIN OF THE WHEELS--except the rear adjuster on each BACK wheel, which is turned against the forward rotation of the wheel.

From this link:
http://moparfins/Repairs/Brake%20Adjust/Brake_Adjustments.htm (it's okay; the writer cites the Forward Look!)

I learn that you adjust each shoe by spinning the wheel and adjusting up until you just hear rubbing noise; the TIGHTEN 1/8 turn and be happy.

After rebuilding everything, I fell kind of committed to these brakes, but the disc conversion is sounding good right now. Thanks,

Bob
59CRL
Posted 2008-05-20 7:53 PM (#130861 - in reply to #130792)

Expert

The filing the leading edge on the shoe is a very good idea... I never tried that
and my drums lock and drag alot.... I would try that but I bought the AAJ brakes
and will be installing them this friday. I will file the back shoes when I get a puller
for the drums....
Pete
Posted 2008-05-20 11:37 PM (#130908 - in reply to #130861)

Veteran

I had my car out last weekend and when I slowed down at a stop sign, it would catch,release, catch, release as if it were out of round. Same wheel also, front left. I even had to stop in a hurry when some young kid made a left turn from the right lane in front of me. The brake really clunked doing that. Sounded like it was tearing something apart. Have to tear it apart this weekend and check it out and file the leading edges off at a 45 degree to see if that helps. Would spraying Brake cleaner on the brake shoes help at all? Thanks in advance. Pete.
MOPAR-TO-YA
Posted 2008-05-21 2:38 AM (#130928 - in reply to #130578)

Expert 5K+

I do not know the reasoning behind this, but on my turned brake drums, relined and arched shoes, new wheel cylinders- my brakes worked great. Sat during the winter months and the first time i drove it, left front brake wanted to grab. . I drove it a ways with the brakes lightly applied and it came out of it--bean working great for the past two years now. I am wondering if there was a little surface rust on that drum ...............................MO
bad58mike
Posted 2008-05-21 11:55 AM (#130952 - in reply to #130578)

Elite Veteran

problem: sticking front left5 brake answer: AAJ BRAKES

problem: sticking anywhere answer: AAJ BRAKES

problem: DRUM BRAKES answer: AAJ DISC BRAKE CONVERSION

Glad to help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version