The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Board crashed??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Announcements -> Help With Using This BoardMessage format

61plymy
Posted 2008-10-12 3:09 PM (#147840)
Subject: Board crashed??

Expert

Last night there were three of us in the Chat room when it began freezing up. After logging off to log back in (to see if it made any difference), the entire board was off line, so I guess the server had some kind of problem.

I'm thinking it was JW's fault, but I'm not allowed to talk about the chat room.

Mike

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rebels-59
Posted 2008-10-12 5:04 PM (#147854 - in reply to #147840)
Subject: Re: Board crashed??

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

The Site was down ALL Day today for me , I tried to log in at 5.00am UK time,, Eventually worked this Evening...
I GOT FINS
Posted 2008-10-12 5:58 PM (#147860 - in reply to #147840)
Subject: RE: Board crashed??

Elite Veteran

Sure I will take the blame:

after the speed typeing class that I joined , the internet just can not keep up
wilth the lightening flash speed of my postings! ! !
I have been banned from other boards because of it , I sure hope I am still welcome here.
I guess I will have to go back to my old one finger typeing so it don't happen again.
but I am afraid that that the new speed may be an ongoing thing , so if it happens again
just bear with it the board will come back sooner or later.

J.W. Duhn
Mope R. Geezer
Posted 2008-10-12 9:25 PM (#147884 - in reply to #147840)

Expert

No mystery here.  It was because you were talking to carjockstrap.  His ban lives on. 
61plymy
Posted 2008-10-14 10:05 PM (#148209 - in reply to #147840)

Expert

JW taking a typing class???????? I have much difficulty swallowing that!.

More likely some virus (who knows where his machine has been) is at fault. I myself am the worlds fastest two-fingered typer (using the index finger of the right hand and the "middle digit" of the left hand) and I am only a left handed (not left politically) kinda guy, so it is a viral attack that is most likely at fault here..

We all need to be mindful of who we associate with here. Lawrence doesn't count.

Mike
carjock
Posted 2008-10-27 4:54 PM (#149798 - in reply to #147840)

Account Inactive by Request

Hey, what's the vermin from the "underworld" doing up here in the legitimate section? I'm shocked. And Mope (big bro) I am not banned, but the legend lives on. And Mike, I think if you would ease up on the liquid verbal stimulants, you would find that the system didn't crash, you just couldn't see the computer screen anymore. In fact, I'll bet you were trying to type on the toaster!!
vedette
Posted 2009-06-12 8:48 AM (#177751 - in reply to #147840)

Expert

Forwardlook.net is the only site I've used that is regularly Crashing,why is this?.
B/G 61
Posted 2009-06-12 8:56 AM (#177754 - in reply to #147840)

Expert

Yea, what's up with that ?? last two days have been bad . . .
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2009-06-12 6:44 PM (#177813 - in reply to #177751)

Expert

I'm also seeing regular downtimes for a couple of seconds/minutes now and then. Usually the site doesn't even appear online on the first visit, it almost looks like the harddisk is spinning up again during a visit from a visitor.

vedette - 2009-06-12 8:48 AM
Forwardlook.net is the only site I've used that is regularly Crashing,why is this?.

Most likely because the webserver's operating system is that crappy Windows stuff.
Proper webservers run on Linux and Apache software and more stable forumsoftware. A friend of mine also runs a server based on Windows software. It WILL crash if left un-attended. It will need constant tinkering and a mandatory reboot at times to stay 'alive'.
Any webserver can go offline for some (hardware-) related reason, but Windows-based servers usually have for more vulnerabilities than Linux/BSD webservers which causes them to go offline more often than others.

By the looks of it, the server used, or the location it's in is a mighty expensive one aswell... From the frontpage: "Running this site costs a great deal (about $250 per month!)" ...
Plainly ridiculous and mostlikely BS aswell if you ask me! If one can't even provide a stable website for $250 a month, I don't know what will.
With the little traffic this site generates, I would be willing to fully donate serverspace and resources to run this site on for Free on my own serverspace, since I control a large section of a shared webserver myself. I do webhosting and domainregistration on the side.

I do hope the stability of this site can be improved though. Better forumsoftware wouldn't hurt aswell I guess, but that's not easy to do.
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2009-06-15 10:08 AM (#177998 - in reply to #147840)

Expert

wizard
Posted 2009-06-15 1:40 PM (#178026 - in reply to #177998)

Yes Herman, it seems like it's getting worse day by day????
vedette
Posted 2009-06-17 7:45 PM (#178322 - in reply to #177813)

Expert

BigBlockMopar - 2009-06-12 6:44 PM

I'm also seeing regular downtimes for a couple of seconds/minutes now and then. Usually the site doesn't even appear online on the first visit, it almost looks like the harddisk is spinning up again during a visit from a visitor.

vedette - 2009-06-12 8:48 AM

Most likely because the webserver's operating system is that crappy Windows stuff.
Proper webservers run on Linux and Apache software and more stable forumsoftware. A friend of mine also runs a server based on Windows software. It WILL crash if left un-attended. It will need constant tinkering and a mandatory reboot at times to stay 'alive'.
Any webserver can go offline for some (hardware-) related reason, but Windows-based servers usually have for more vulnerabilities than Linux/BSD webservers which causes them to go offline more often than others.

By the looks of it, the server used, or the location it's in is a mighty expensive one aswell... From the frontpage: "Running this site costs a great deal (about $250 per month!)" ...
Plainly ridiculous and mostlikely BS aswell if you ask me! If one can't even provide a stable website for $250 a month, I don't know what will.
With the little traffic this site generates, I would be willing to fully donate serverspace and resources to run this site on for Free on my own serverspace, since I control a large section of a shared webserver myself. I do webhosting and domainregistration on the side.

I do hope the stability of this site can be improved though. Better forumsoftware wouldn't hurt aswell I guess, but that's not easy to do.

Herman I think you need to help the Leader of this site with your advice.
BigBlockMopar
Posted 2009-06-17 8:20 PM (#178327 - in reply to #147840)

Expert

The current problems are at server-level I think, and not really at the forumsoftware. The server crashes, as it seems almost daily, for some reason.
I wish I could offer 'easy help', but my solution for a more steady board would be an entire website-move to a server with an entirely different operating system.
My knowledge on running or maintaining Windows servers is practically zero, so I don't think I can be of much help to Dave with this. I can install forums, content management systems or just simple websites on my own serverspace, but these use different scriptinglanguage and database-structure (PHP/MySQL), compared to ASP and MSSQL which is used on this site/server.

The problem with a rigorous server-change is therefore that the current forum-software and it's database mostly likely can't be transferred/converted that easily.
If such a move would take place, in worst case it would mean the forum had to start all over again, with "0"-topics, and with all the current members having to re-register and such.
This forum, how 'outdated' it may be (in my opinion at least) compared to other forums, still does contain a wealth of info and years of data added by the members. It would be a real shame to let this go to waste during such a move.
Tony
Posted 2009-06-19 12:15 AM (#178502 - in reply to #178327)

Elite Veteran

BigBlockMopar - 2009-06-17 6:20 PM

The current problems are at server-level I think, and not really at the forumsoftware. The server crashes, as it seems almost daily, for some reason.
I wish I could offer 'easy help', but my solution for a more steady board would be an entire website-move to a server with an entirely different operating system.
My knowledge on running or maintaining Windows servers is practically zero, so I don't think I can be of much help to Dave with this. I can install forums, content management systems or just simple websites on my own serverspace, but these use different scriptinglanguage and database-structure (PHP/MySQL), compared to ASP and MSSQL which is used on this site/server.

The problem with a rigorous server-change is therefore that the current forum-software and it's database mostly likely can't be transferred/converted that easily.
If such a move would take place, in worst case it would mean the forum had to start all over again, with "0"-topics, and with all the current members having to re-register and such.
This forum, how 'outdated' it may be (in my opinion at least) compared to other forums, still does contain a wealth of info and years of data added by the members. It would be a real shame to let this go to waste during such a move.

Dave needs to buy a new rat to run the squirrel cage powering the server.
Rebels-59
Posted 2009-06-19 4:50 AM (#178526 - in reply to #178502)

What is all this Talk about Board Crashing.. I have Logged on for the Last Week Every Night with No Problems, Unless it is Happening between certain hours whilst Britain Sleeps. Maybe Brent is Correct, A certain Select Few Trouble Makers are be Suspended for a few Days......... LOL

YES that is just Humour.....

Last night there were 65 People including Guests on-line at one point, So very Strange to here some of you NOT being able to get on...
Rebels-59
Posted 2009-06-19 4:53 AM (#178527 - in reply to #147840)

Just had a Brain Fart...

Could it be do to the People unable to Log in having the Same ISSUE because it is their Firewall or Internet Server having Problems .. I am wondering if the FORWARDLOOK sitemay have problems Only with one type of Firewall ETC..

Just A Thought....

Administrator
Posted 2009-06-22 2:14 PM (#178879 - in reply to #178527)

Elite Veteran

Hi All,

Let me address some misinformation above about this site.  Our recent downtime has been due to three main issues.

1) Last week we had a lot of bad storms in the area.  We are in a heavily wooded area -- if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around to hear it, it still falls on the utility lines.  Short of running underground cabling for 12 miles or so, that stuff is going to occassionally happen, despite our best efforts.  If someone wants to donate a 3+kW diesel cutover generator and a satellite dish ISP backup service, PM me.

2) There is a known issue with the beta firewall we are using that affects DNS queries.  That should be taken care of later this week with an upgrade.

3) I had to upgrade our version of ESX (VMware; a virtualized server operating system) and couldn't do it at 2-5 am as is my normal maintenance window time, due to commitments at work. I couldn't just vMotion the server to the other box as I had to upgrade the VMware tools and the virtual hardware, which required like 4 reboots total.

As far as the 'plainly ridiculous' 'BS' of it costing around $250 per month to run this site, I'll ignore the insult and break it down for those who choose to complain:  $125/mo goes to the ISP for a 10-down / 3-up line.  The electric, on a separate meter, runs in the neighborhood of $65/mo.  I also upgraded all of our 5-year old equipment this winter to a mix of new and used enterprise-level hardware -- all to the tune of around $6,000 (which, btw, is not yet included on the 'what it takes to run a site like this' page). 

Fully loaded DL380 G4 (around $1200), a fully-loaded DL360 G4p (around $600), a maxed-out DL380 G3 ($400), a new LTO drive and 6 tapes for offline backup ($800 + $180), a new rack ($400), a new UPS ($600), 2 SCSI adapters and cables ($150), a 2TB NAS for online backup($1100), a 24-port gigabit switch ($350) and I'm not even going to enumerate all of the miscellaneous costs either.  Amortize that out over 5 years and we're over $300 a month, not $250.  I have to upgrade the G3 to a G4 sometime soon as well for ESX vSphere 4.0, but I'll do it gladly to keep eveything in top shape. The users here are great with donations, and with the eBay links we usually cover costs, so I don't complain. 

There are 20 sites running in this farm, some for 11+ years.  Many are for other car clubs for whom I provide their site without cost.  I'm just as familiar with the LAMP platform (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PERL/PHP) and run both for a living at a private investment firm.  Windows has been a rock-solid platform for many years, and I've simply found no reason to take the time to port it over to LAMP just because of some anti-MS sentiment out there.  This board software was chosen by a test group of users several years ago.  Its multi-skin, multi-language capabilities and features were far advanced beyond any other board at the time.  As the years have gone by, MegaBBS has become something of a dead platform.  I have talked to the folks at vBulletin and they will be our eventual upgrade.  We can move over most of the posts, but cannot import the photo albums at this time.  I'm not willing to take that loss, so things are on hold until I have the time to work on a conversion plan.

As the father of an 18-month old, and having just purchased a new home, my free time is extremely limited. I have not had any of my cars out in about 2 years now, as often I have to make the choice between doing things for this site or another activity. This year I have even had to take vacation days to sleep after staying up all night to do site upgrades so as to impact the least number of users. I try not to inconvenience folks with downtime (we were still over 99.9% hardware uptime last year, even with the power outage last June and the upgrades. 8 hours downtime in a year is great.)

As the content of this and the other sites is around 1 MILLION posts/pages/archived mailing list posts (not to mention pictures), it is too big to do backups from a cloud virtual server environment on any kind of a regular basis.  After having seen friends' sites simply vaporize when a provider went belly-up, I will not allow that to happen.  That is why we have spent such a great deal on redundant hardware and online/offline backups.  We also push over 300GB up per month between all of the sites (not counting cached traffic from the proxy), so it isn't a walk in the park...

There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes, and I have very little time to do it. I'll try and post the scheduled outages when I can.

-Dave

58 Ray
Posted 2009-06-22 2:22 PM (#178881 - in reply to #147840)

Thanks for everything you do Dave, there is usally more behind the scene stuff than everyone realizes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)