The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

steering column bearing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

57desoto
Posted 2009-08-28 8:25 PM (#186673)
Subject: steering column bearing

Expert

If this has been discussed before, I missed it and/or don't remember it...

I've had some annoying losses of power steering in my '57 Adventurer. The steering wheel just seems to "grab" every once in a while, kind of like a PS belt is slipping. I checked the belts, and tightening them made no difference. I pulled the PS pump and took it to Power Brake Exchange in Pittsburgh. They wiggled, jiggled, and sniffed the pump, and came to the conclusion that it "seemed OK", and before rebuilding it, wanted me to put new hoses on and flush/fill with new fluid. I did all that, but the problem remained, and it seemed like I'd be pulling the pump again and taking it in for the rebuild.

I scoured the service manual for suggestions, and came upon one that sounded plausible. It said that if there's a loss of "return" from both sides, one of the culprits could be the steering column shaft bearing. I pulled the column apart today, and the bearing does in fact "growl" when I spin it, and I'm 99% sure it IS the problem! I cleaned it up in lacquer thinner, and then packed it with new grease. I doubt I can find a brand new one, but it does seem to be fine now. I'll get the column assembly painted (why not, when it's off the car and do-able?) and put it all back together one day, perhaps next week. Then I'll know for sure.

Edited by 57desoto 2009-08-28 8:29 PM

(Steering_column_guts5.jpg)

(Steering_column_guts_bearing.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Steering_column_guts5.jpg (136KB - 183 downloads)
Attachments Steering_column_guts_bearing.jpg (106KB - 196 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)