The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1958 Plymouth Plaza sedan - on eBay
Moderators: ronbo97

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - EBAY, CRAIGSLIST & OTHER FINDSMessage format

SavoyPlaza
Posted 2011-04-11 8:35 AM (#267992 - in reply to #266685)
Subject: RE: 1958 Plymouth Plaza sedan - on eBay

Elite Veteran

Hold tight to the stripper motif, Brent, she'll be a one-of-a-kind.

Here are two photos of my '58 with body-colored rims vs. www's for comparison. The second photo was taken at "50s Day" at my daughter's school last year. I've kept the www's on the car since.
Pete

(Sept909f2.jpg)

(march262010b2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sept909f2.jpg (74KB - 437 downloads)
Attachments march262010b2.jpg (66KB - 333 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
B/G 61
Posted 2011-04-11 9:09 AM (#267999 - in reply to #267927)
Subject: Re: 1958 Plymouth Plaza sedan - on eBay

Expert

Doctor DeSoto - 2011-04-10 11:50 PM

Negative on that. Stripper, stripper, stripper !

You gonna sell the A/C unit ? I bet someone would want that thing . . . ?

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-11 9:34 AM (#268003 - in reply to #267992)

SavoyPlaza - 2011-04-12 5:35 AM

Hold tight to the stripper motif, Brent, she'll be a one-of-a-kind.

Here are two photos of my '58 with body-colored rims vs. www's for comparison. The second photo was taken at "50s Day" at my daughter's school last year. I've kept the www's on the car since.
Pete

Pete,

Is that a Silver Special, or a plain old Plaza ?

Your white color creates a different effect with the white/black wall tires and white/black wheels.

I think the green being somewhere in between will take on a very different look. There is a
similar colored 55 Chev 150 stripper in Spokane that was painstakingly restored back to el Strippo
mode. I really like the green wheels with the blackwalls and dog dishies. B'sides, the original car
I was inspired by was just like this one, green wheels, blackwalls, dog dishies !

BTW - nice car ! I wish Mother Mopar had used that FL emblem more freely on the cars like
they did on the Silver Special and Adventurer.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-11 9:40 AM (#268005 - in reply to #267999)

B/G 61 - 2011-04-12 6:09 AM
You gonna sell the A/C unit ? I bet someone would want that thing . . . ?

Gonna keep it just as I found it. I want the "stripper" look .... no fancy side trim, unsexy color,
dog dishies, body color wheels, blackwalls, block-off plates, no dash pad, very plain interior.

A major point here is to contrast the loaded DeSoto glam barge with a very unglamorous plain jane
sedan. It is more about appearance than anything. Afterall, if it weren't about how these cars look,
who would care anyway ?
d500neil
Posted 2011-04-11 6:32 PM (#268067 - in reply to #266685)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

OK; this goes back to the Doc's question, a few messages ago, and as per our PM's, he asked to have the answer
posted here..

So: as to whether Brent can re-register the black plates on his car, I actually went boots-onto-the-ground at the local
DMV and walked right up to the counter-lady (which you can do, in a small town)....and had a nice conversation.

First thing: Brent's car is missing(!?) its last-year-registered sticker, which is quite unusual, and unfortunate, for any
registration validation.

For about the past 10 years, CA has NOT discarded its license records, and, this car's tags (LQW915) are no longer
in the DMV records, so it was last registered more than 10 years ago (duh).

As to whether these black plates (as opposed to a set of Y-o-M plates) can be re-registered to this car (or to any other car)
is doubtful, but technically possible.

Brent would have to present these plates to his local DMV, where their physical condition would be observed and a photocopy
of them would then be forwarded to Sacratomato along with an Application for Reinstatement, in which B. would plead his
case for their reactivation.

Someone in the S-Town DMV office might, then, overlook (or not notice) the fact that these plates are not yellow (Y-o-M) but
are black (which were mandated to be obtained in 1963 for all cars currently registered in CA, and with the black-plates then becoming Y-o-M through 1969).....so that these plates might be permitted to be re-activated as being a "current" license plate for this car; neither Y-o-M nor "vanity".

So: it's not a categorical 'no' answer, as to whether these plates might be able to be re-activated.

It probably wouldn't hurt B's chances if he were to provide some pics of his car with it wearing these tags, either.

Edited by d500neil 2011-04-11 6:42 PM
d500neil
Posted 2011-04-11 6:47 PM (#268068 - in reply to #266685)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

This thread should be mooved over to Member's Rides, huh, Ron?

B/G 61
Posted 2011-04-11 9:08 PM (#268086 - in reply to #266685)

Expert

BTW, what was your (your brothers) bid ? How much did you actually have him punch in at the last second ???

Resurrector
Posted 2011-04-11 10:56 PM (#268113 - in reply to #267542)

Doctor DeSoto - 2011-04-09 1:16 AM

61plymy - 2011-04-08 9:40 AM

....the combination of seeing a lot of FL cars and being easily bored
has made me focus on the really weird among the already rare. No doubt a Christine is stunning in
itself, but seeing the same old car with the same old colors and equipment makes even a special car
cause my eyes to glaze over. Show me something I haven't seen 20-30 times before.

Not sure if Mom dropped me on my head as an infant, but I have always been drawn to the fading
shadows of the day, the distant ship's smoke on the horizon, the blowing of the wind in the grass that
grows up between the railroad ties on some forgotten branch line. The rusting relic along some fence,
the weathered barn, the old highway with no guard rails, and of course, the funky old car down the street
in Grandma Pittipoo's carport. I was born in the Forward Look era and from my earliest memories can
recall being attracted to old stuff. Back then an old car was a Model T. My Dad's dad was a car guy
and made a big deal out of anything unusual he saw parked or driving past. By osmosis, this rubbed
off on me.

It wasn't until I was a little older that all things Googie began to emerge as a strong nostalgic interest ..
.. all those wonderful pastel colors, the Googie fabrics, and futuristic architecture .... and of course, the
cars ! The pinks and salmons, turquoises and that chiffon yellow, charcoal, chartreuse, and then that
seafoam green ! My Grandma's kitchen was painted white and seafoam green. Cheesy Formica stuff in
seafoam with white swirls on the counters, matching colored tile in a checkerboard pattern on the walls.
It was so "then". Red might be flashy, but it was so generically used from the 30's to the present, it just
has no character like those uniquely 50's colors. The mandatory points in this car search were: 1958, Plaza,
four door, and it had to be seafoam green. The rest I was flexible on. The fact this one has some nice
driver comfort options is a plus, and I love the gold grille "V", but the key was always that green color
to match the tall, skinny blackwall bias-plys and those anti-cool dog dishies !

You are playing my kind of song here, Doc...love the car, and totally dig your mindset. I think this is what Dukeboy means by spider caps? I also like the idea of the look of blackwall bias tires, when do you ever see them on any roadworthy 50's car now? You see them on some rat rods, that's about it.
Apologies to whomever owns this sweet car, I just copied the pic from the forum years ago, love this car.

Edited by 58dodgeregent 2011-04-11 11:03 PM

(silver special.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments silver special.jpg (195KB - 794 downloads)
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-11 11:36 PM (#268122 - in reply to #268086)

B/G 61 - 2011-04-12 6:08 PMBTW, what was your (your brothers) bid ? How much did you actually have him punch in at the last second ???

My brother kinda flaked out at the last minute, ... something about not wanting to have
his eBay feedback / reputation smeared if this deal went sideways. So, the Dear One
stepped up and got the job done. Top bid was 2,850.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-12 12:09 AM (#268125 - in reply to #268067)

d500neil - 2011-04-12 3:32 PM

OK; this goes back to the Doc's question, a few messages ago, and as per our PM's, he asked to have the answer
posted here..

So: as to whether Brent can re-register the black plates on his car, I actually went boots-onto-the-ground at the local
DMV and walked right up to the counter-lady (which you can do, in a small town)....and had a nice conversation.

First thing: Brent's car is missing(!?) its last-year-registered sticker, which is quite unusual, and unfortunate, for any
registration validation.

For about the past 10 years, CA has NOT discarded its license records, and, this car's tags (LQW915) are no longer
in the DMV records, so it was last registered more than 10 years ago (duh).

As to whether these black plates (as opposed to a set of Y-o-M plates) can be re-registered to this car (or to any other car)
is doubtful, but technically possible.

Brent would have to present these plates to his local DMV, where their physical condition would be observed and a photocopy
of them would then be forwarded to Sacratomato along with an Application for Reinstatement, in which B. would plead his
case for their reactivation.

Someone in the S-Town DMV office might, then, overlook (or not notice) the fact that these plates are not yellow (Y-o-M) but
are black (which were mandated to be obtained in 1963 for all cars currently registered in CA, and with the black-plates then becoming Y-o-M through 1969).....so that these plates might be permitted to be re-activated as being a "current" license plate for this car; neither Y-o-M nor "vanity".

So: it's not a categorical 'no' answer, as to whether these plates might be able to be re-activated.

It probably wouldn't hurt B's chances if he were to provide some pics of his car with it wearing these tags, either.

So, let's review:

As I am NOT a California resident ...

I would need to produce these plates with a photo of them as found on the car to a friendly
(California) small town DMV agency for review ?

.... or are the fine folks at the California DMV so understanding of us old car guys' interest in
original plates to allow an outa-stater to register a car from out of state ?

The car will be going first to Big M in Williams. I suspect John might have a few contacts and
tricks in his bag ? ..... there in that small California town (unknown at this time if they have a
local DMV or not?)

SavoyPlaza
Posted 2011-04-12 5:40 PM (#268239 - in reply to #266685)

Elite Veteran

Not to worry, Brent. John F has alotta experience with bogus registrations, filed-off serial numbers, and fake vins. He'll fix you right up!
(Just kidding of course! )

Thanks for the compliment on my '58. I don't want to pollute your thread with my rides, but she is a Silver Special, although the trim is too far gone to put on the car. When I finally get around to restoring her (she's next in line!), I'll fill all trim holes, and leave her bare-sided, save the FL emblems. After all, don't the chrome-less strippers have their own elegance?

As far as the 'sea-foam' green scheme with body color rims, that is what I've got on my '62, pictured below.
Again, I don't want to pollute your thread, but just as a reference to that color with dog dishes.

And the custom flat-green '58 above with the spider caps was my car, too, I drove her to Tulsa for the event. Her headlights residing in my avatar and some fond memories are all I have left of her!
Pete

(aug709pensacolaflorida2.jpg)

(img_20822.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments aug709pensacolaflorida2.jpg (64KB - 303 downloads)
Attachments img_20822.jpg (78KB - 304 downloads)
d500neil
Posted 2011-04-12 9:29 PM (#268271 - in reply to #266685)

The re-registered black plates would only be of interest to someone who owns the car in CA, like John F., for
example, who would, then, continue to operate the car in CA.

If you are eventually going to register the car in OR, there might be some benefit to current-plate-register the car in
CA, before importing it into OR.

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-13 3:39 AM (#268321 - in reply to #268239)

SavoyPlaza - 2011-04-13 2:40 PM

Not to worry, Brent. John F has alotta experience with bogus registrations, filed-off serial numbers, and fake vins. He'll fix you right up!
(Just kidding of course! )

Thanks for the compliment on my '58. I don't want to pollute your thread with my rides, but she is a Silver Special, although the trim is too far gone to put on the car. When I finally get around to restoring her (she's next in line!), I'll fill all trim holes, and leave her bare-sided, save the FL emblems. After all, don't the chrome-less strippers have their own elegance?

As far as the 'sea-foam' green scheme with body color rims, that is what I've got on my '62, pictured below.
Again, I don't want to pollute your thread, but just as a reference to that color with dog dishes.

And the custom flat-green '58 above with the spider caps was my car, too, I drove her to Tulsa for the event. Her headlights residing in my avatar and some fond memories are all I have left of her!
Pete

That 62 is EXACTLY "the look" I'm after. Dead stock factory OEM unsexy, if ever there was such a thing !

As mentioned early in this thread, I have liked the 58 Plymouth since I was really young (upturned lollipops),
and have refined my aesthetic taste over the years to consider the 1958 the hands-down best looking car to
ever roll off a Plymouth production line. And while I might electronically "roll my eyes" over the preponderance
of red and white painted ones around today, I still think Plymouth never set a higher mark than the 58 Belvedere
2 door hardtop. That said, I like things different and I like contrast. Going the opposite direction that popular old
car culture has gone for the past 50 years by going the lo-bux, anti-flash route seems very attractive and has so
now (to me) for some time. Hence the insistence on the green color ... still a somewhat uniquely dated color, but
decidedly UN-flashy. Perhaps I should name it the "Unfury" ?

Speaking of which, I am pretty eager to see what paperwork comes with the car and if a previous owner can lend
a good name for the car, like "Elmer", "Frank", or "Ernie" ? ..... or maybe a female name like "Gertie", "Eunice, or
"Olive" ?

In the past year or so, someone posted pix of a 2 door SS rotting in a field that had all that trim still on it. Anyone
remember seeing that photo/s ?
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-13 3:45 AM (#268322 - in reply to #268271)

d500neil - 2011-04-13 6:29 PM

The re-registered black plates would only be of interest to someone who owns the car in CA, like John F., for
example, who would, then, continue to operate the car in CA.

If you are eventually going to register the car in OR, there might be some benefit to current-plate-register the car in
CA, before importing it into OR.

That's not true. I live in Spokanistan and I have MUCH interest in operating the car
with re-registered California black plates. Perhaps John knows the right people to make
such a re-reg happen ? I have plenty of relatives in California to provide an address.

BTW - Geography Test: Spokane is NOT in Oregon !

B/G 61
Posted 2011-04-13 9:07 AM (#268348 - in reply to #266685)

Expert

You bring up an interestin point Doc, why wait till you found a factory green
sedan, wasn't there other sedans for sale in the last few years you coulda
painted green ?
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-13 9:31 AM (#268349 - in reply to #268348)

With a shop to build and the DeSoto to restore, I was in no hurry. I even went back to Ray's
about 5 years ago to retrieve the body tags off that car that originally sparked my interest,
thinking I could build one up from scratch, but the place had vanished under an ocean of
tract housing.
A member here from Texas came up with a light blue one and we corresponded about me
possibly buying it when the shop was finished. There is even a similar Misty Green Belvedere
hiding only a mile from my home, but the conversion to a Plaza would involve a lot of parts
hunting and I still would not have correct tagging. But the thought has been kicking around
upstairs for a long time!

Now, I find myself overseas and the shop just mothballed. This car just was too close to
perfect to pass up. The timing sucked, but some things you just gotta jump on when the
opportunity arises. Besides, the girl (after a sunny afternoon drive in Colin's 57 just a month
earlier, and once told of my longing desire for one of these) was pretty gung-ho about making
it happen. Few of them girl style people get too whooped up about their old man's cars. Don't
want to ignore that kind of support and enthusiasm, do we ?
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-19 1:57 AM (#269098 - in reply to #266685)

I am probably running a day behind, as we pushed out to a remote outpost, but got an email this
AM from John Fowlie, saying the car had delivered to his place safe and sound. Thanks John, for
being caretaker and orchestrator of this movement.
miquelonbrad
Posted 2011-04-19 9:24 AM (#269125 - in reply to #266685)

Expert

My first Forward Look car was a '57 Plaza 4 door, waaaaay back when I was in my teens. My uncle gave it to me. It had no side trim, but it did have the fender top trim. And it was a true stripper! Flat head 6, with 3-on-the-tree. Had NO options. The side trim on yours looks like the trim that is on a Savoy I have here. Congrats on the purchase!!!
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-20 9:45 AM (#269229 - in reply to #269125)

Thanks, Brad. It will be a fun car to do so completely backwards from the usual 58 Plymouth.

Gonna take future updates to the PNW region board to keep it fresh and relevant.
d500neil
Posted 2011-04-20 6:08 PM (#269313 - in reply to #266685)

"FastDeSoto"(?) had/has a true stripper: 57 Coronet 2-dr sedan with absolutely no options on it; no heater
and, even, the standard single-color on the body.

It needed a complete restoration, but was/is the only true 100% non-option car that I've ever seen shown on this
website.

Maybe someone could find its thread and post a reference to that car.

Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2011-04-21 3:34 AM (#269388 - in reply to #269313)

I remember the car and thread. Having the total stripper would be quaint, but a real
bear to drive. Personally, I'd take a Plymouth over the Dodge, and a 4s over a 2s any
day. All the same, a really unique and cool car that I hope gets a total resto, as these
bottom dwellers tend to be seen as parts cars rather than dream cars.

I am pleased as punch that my Plymouth has all the aesthetics of the el strippo, but
has a few driver comfort items thrown in. I get the best of both worlds, although I gotta
admit, ... I saved the early 60's floor shifter custom-installed into the car at Ray's Auto
Wrecking ... the one that inspired all this, to install in a 3-onda-tree car, had I found one.
mstrug
Posted 2017-11-18 4:44 PM (#552630 - in reply to #266685)

Expert 5K+

Floor shifters are kind of cool in an old stripper car. I like the ones with a goose neck to go around bench seat.
Doctor DeSoto
Posted 2017-11-19 5:59 PM (#552719 - in reply to #552630)

The inspiration car for the Plaza I now own was an original
3-onda-tree build, but had received an retrofit floor shifter at
some point in its life. I suspect this car was under the pile
in the wrecking yard by 1970, so it was pretty early on that
this thing was installed. How a regret not making more of an
effort to get Ray to let me get the car out of the yard whole,
or pulled more essential parts off of it just to save them.

But I did pull the shifter and shift lever/ball. Unsure of the
manufacturer, but is is STOUT (compared to the wimpy stock
units installed in 1960-and-up Mopar floor/stick builds). The
shifter ball looks suspiciously not stock !

(DSC05413.jpg)

(DSC05415.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC05413.jpg (87KB - 199 downloads)
Attachments DSC05415.jpg (56KB - 196 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)