The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is a Super Red Ram engine? Poly or Hemi?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Engine, Exhaust, Fuel and IgnitionMessage format

riverroadgarage
Posted 2004-02-13 8:56 AM (#1223)
Subject: What is a Super Red Ram engine? Poly or Hemi?

New User

Hey all,

Newbie here seeking some info. I recently came across a 57 Dodge Custom Royale with a Super Red Ram engine. I was wondering what this is all about. Is it anything rare or unusual. I have been told by some it is a hemi. Some tell me it is a poly motor. Here's what I know. It has Valve covers that say Super Red Ram on them with wavy edges on the exhaust manifold side of them. It also has a 4 hole intake with individual runners to each cylinder. Personally I have never seen anything like it. I can by the whole car for $20. It is a 4-door with mostly mint chrome and stainless. The body....well that's another story, although it does have a good hood and windshield. Should I pick this up to help finance my 69 Charger project. Or should I leave it sit where it has been the past 30 years. Any help or knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.......Thanks Guys
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DeSotohead
Posted 2004-02-13 9:37 AM (#1225 - in reply to #1223)
Subject: RE: What is a Super Red Ram engine? Poly or Hemi?

Board Moderator

Dodge juggled names of their engines.
First there was the 241 Red Ram. All of these in Dodges were hemis for 53-54.
Then in 1955 displacement went to 270 CID, and the Red Ram was a poly, and the SUPER RED RAM was the hemi.
Then in 1956 displacement increased again for some engines to 315 CID. The 270s were again poly Red Rams, the SUPER RED RAM high-deck 315 CID was also a poly, and the hemi was the 315 CID D-500 (and D500-1).
Now in 1957, Dodge again had a displacement increase from 315 to 325 on the high-deck engine. The low block 270 was gone. The Red RAm and Super Red Rams were poly 325 CID engines, and the KD500 and KD500-1 were the hemis. Also, a KD501 was offered. This was a 354 Chrysler 300B engine, with no-name valve covers borrowed from Dodge trucks.
The final Dodge Block was the 1958 L325 engine. Again it was 325 CID anf was only offered as a poly.
Ian
Posted 2004-02-13 10:10 AM (#1226 - in reply to #1223)

For $20? Buy it then offer any of the salvageable parts on here that way it will help to finance your Charger and possibly help folk on here who may be struggling for parts.
riverroadgarage
Posted 2004-02-13 10:13 AM (#1227 - in reply to #1223)

New User

Thanks Desoto for the info. I had a guy tell me that only the Hemi's had the intakes with the individual runners, but as you know the world is full of people who know a little less than they think. As far as value, is this car worth bothering with. It would take a bit of work to retrieve it from it's current "storage" location.
DeSotohead
Posted 2004-02-13 1:15 PM (#1233 - in reply to #1227)

Board Moderator

If this vehicle is in good restorable condition, then by all means, get it!
The Dodge 325 polymotor is a strong running engine, and all high-deck Dodge intakes exchange between the polys and the hemis.
The intakes are 1.84" stock, and the exhausts are 1.5" You can get them out to 1.94" and 1.6" respectively with a GOOD machine shop. You would want to put exhaust valve inserts in anyway for the unleaded fuel we have.
Also, the engine can be converted to a hemi with replacement of heads, pistons, rocker arm assys, headbolts, exhaust manifolds, valve covers/spark plug tubes, and pushrods. Everything else is the same.
For information on how to hop up a poly, the booklet by PANIC (listed inliterature section) is a good start.
riverroadgarage
Posted 2004-02-13 10:52 PM (#1273 - in reply to #1223)

New User

The body.......well it has been sitting outside in the Michigan weather for 33 years the owner told me. And it looks it. I was looking at this more as parts to help finance my never ending money pit 69 Charger. It has quite a few good stainless and trim parts still, Mint grille, hood........lots of little stuff if a guy needed parts. If anybody is interested in knowing more about this vehicle send me a pm.

Thanks guys
DeSotohead
Posted 2004-02-14 8:45 AM (#1300 - in reply to #1273)
Subject: Body condition

Board Moderator

Missed your comment regarding the body. STILL a good deal for the parts you could sell.
An entire 325 Powerpack motor is worth it just for its value! Add in the trans, rear end, interior dash pieces, and the trim on the outside, it is a real bargain. I also live in Michigan (Troy) and know what the Michigan "fender solvent" can do to cars.
Bu if you have a place to put it, or the major pieces of it, then acquire and sell the parts.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)