The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Removing pushbutton pod with the dash still in (57 Plymouth)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

imfinlay
Posted 2014-05-19 9:47 AM (#441468)
Subject: Removing pushbutton pod with the dash still in (57 Plymouth)

Extreme Veteran

Since I was asked on another thread... here's the description of how I removed the pushbutton pod without taking the dash out. I'll update later with pictures and correct any errors - this is from memory!

1. Remove the instrument bezel and the "glass" (actually clear plastic). Screws should be obvious.
2. Undo the instrument cluster, and pull GENTLY forward to rest on the column. You'll need to get your hand in the left side, so you'll probably want to disconnect the turn signal bulb holder, and maybe now's a good time to clean up the instrument contacts anyway.
3. Remove the face plate from the push button pod. 3 x Philips screws.
4. You should have a felt damper on the back side of the plate. Mine had become detached and compressed. I shall make a new one.
5. Remove push buttons. Just pull them off.
6. Undo the screws that hold the push button mechanism to the mounting plate at the rear of the pod. These are cross-head screws that come out from the front.
7. Carefully reach round the back and pull the mechanism back, down and left a bit. Basically you will need to manipulate it out of the way of the pod mounting nuts, which are at the rear of the pod.
8. You'll need a 7/16 small socket. I also used a 7/16 nut driver for one nut which worked for me. (I need to check the size actually). I used a 3" wobbly extension to get into the nut and still be able to swing the ratchet.
9. Undo the three nuts. Two are regular nuts with an attached lock washer, one is a nut with a flare. I only needed one turn to loosen, then removed the ratchet and got my fingers to the extension.

And that's all there is to it. The mechanism stays in the dash so the car is still mobile.

Pics to follow.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
soiouz
Posted 2014-05-19 12:12 PM (#441478 - in reply to #441468)
Subject: RE: Removing pushbutton pod with the dash still in (57 Plymouth)

Expert

imfinlay - 2014-05-19 9:47 AM

Since I was asked on another thread... here's the description of how I removed the pushbutton pod without taking the dash out. I'll update later with pictures and correct any errors - this is from memory!

1. Remove the instrument bezel and the "glass" (actually clear plastic). Screws should be obvious.
2. Undo the instrument cluster, and pull GENTLY forward to rest on the column. You'll need to get your hand in the left side, so you'll probably want to disconnect the turn signal bulb holder, and maybe now's a good time to clean up the instrument contacts anyway.
3. Remove the face plate from the push button pod. 3 x Philips screws.
4. You should have a felt damper on the back side of the plate. Mine had become detached and compressed. I shall make a new one.
5. Remove push buttons. Just pull them off.
6. Undo the screws that hold the push button mechanism to the mounting plate at the rear of the pod. These are cross-head screws that come out from the front.
7. Carefully reach round the back and pull the mechanism back, down and left a bit. Basically you will need to manipulate it out of the way of the pod mounting nuts, which are at the rear of the pod.
8. You'll need a 7/16 small socket. I also used a 7/16 nut driver for one nut which worked for me. (I need to check the size actually). I used a 3" wobbly extension to get into the nut and still be able to swing the ratchet.
9. Undo the three nuts. Two are regular nuts with an attached lock washer, one is a nut with a flare. I only needed one turn to loosen, then removed the ratchet and got my fingers to the extension.

And that's all there is to it. The mechanism stays in the dash so the car is still mobile.

Pics to follow.

Great, Thanks a lot!

I went as far as step 7 two days ago, and even removed one of the three pod nuts, but couldnt figure out the other two, and thought the dash had to be removed to get to them.
imfinlay
Posted 2014-05-19 1:30 PM (#441489 - in reply to #441468)
Subject: RE: Removing pushbutton pod with the dash still in (57 Plymouth)

Extreme Veteran

Does this help?

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo.JPG (54KB - 136 downloads)
d500neil
Posted 2014-05-19 8:06 PM (#441528 - in reply to #441468)
Subject: Re: Removing pushbutton pod with the dash still in (57 Plymouth)

Exner Expert 19,174 posts. Neil passed away 18 Sep 2015. You will be missed, Neil!

That felt faceplate backing serves to surround the push buttons and seal-out any internal lighting from escaping the housing.

soiouz
Posted 2014-05-20 9:57 PM (#441667 - in reply to #441528)
Subject: Re: Removing pushbutton pod with the dash still in (57 Plymouth)

Expert

d500neil - 2014-05-19 8:06 PM

That felt faceplate backing serves to surround the push buttons and seal-out any internal lighting from escaping the housing.

I'll have to replace mine too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)