The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forward Look emblem
Moderators: ronbo97

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Swap Meet -> For Sale - EBAY, CRAIGSLIST & OTHER FINDSMessage format

Andy1974
Posted 2014-06-17 2:04 PM (#445466)
Subject: Forward Look emblem

Regular

I´m selling this FL emblem on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201110554642

They are made using dental technican methods.

They are all a little bit different and not abolutely perfect because they are hand made and metal casted. 4 other guys among you that I know from another forum are satified with the result, so it can´t be that bad!

(Foto_02.JPG)

(Emblem_03a (Medium).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Foto_02.JPG (121KB - 108 downloads)
Attachments Emblem_03a (Medium).jpg (185KB - 110 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
FwdLk56
Posted 2014-06-17 3:33 PM (#445471 - in reply to #445466)
Subject: Re: Forward Look emblem

Very Impressive !!!...

is the metal poured while in a vacuum?
Andy1974
Posted 2014-06-17 3:55 PM (#445475 - in reply to #445471)

Regular

FwdLk56 - 2014-06-17 9:33 PM

Very Impressive !!!...

is the metal poured while in a vacuum?

The wax models, including a cast channel, are locked up in a ceramic mass. The trick is a special oven that rotates and gets very very hot. After melting out the wax, the liquid chromoly steel is poured in the mold. After cooling down the ceramic mold will be broken. I do not have such an oven, it´s much too costly. But I know someone who is working as an dental technician. He also gave me the wax, which is a special strong one. This method is also used to make jewelery.
Andy1974
Posted 2014-06-21 5:38 AM (#445947 - in reply to #445466)
Subject: RE: Forward Look emblem

Regular

OK, I tried it in the ICC, on eBay and here. It seems that the interest is very low. No problem, I´ll just stop making them.
Any straight review is welcome. Price? Authenticity? Imperfections? Commonness on the models?
Just want to know because I also started working on the 58 Fury script. But I have the feeling that the effort is not worthwhile to pursue it further.

(WP_20140224_21_01_18_Pro_FL (Small).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments WP_20140224_21_01_18_Pro_FL (Small).jpg (95KB - 95 downloads)
56RoyalLancer
Posted 2014-06-21 12:36 PM (#445979 - in reply to #445466)

Elite Veteran

Andy. I think you did a great job for "do it yourself". There may be more interest in rare items like the "fuel injected" script that is as rare as hens teeth. Keep up the good work.
ttotired
Posted 2014-06-21 9:04 PM (#446012 - in reply to #445466)

Expert 5K+

I would "jewelry ise" it

Turn them into belt buckles or the like, it looks to be about 2 1/2" long?, so a bit big for hat pins.

You say in your add that the pin is shorted than std and/or it does not have the required thread for mounting, to me, this would mean they are the same as a broken emblem.

If its worth your effort, make them with the thead, that way they can mount to the interior (if I read the add right) or your customer can fit a screw to it and use it on the application where it needs to be a stud.

These will sell (I think), but its a very small market and it will take time for them to go.

Just to give you a personal example, the speedo bezel on the 60 plymouth is a peice of chromed plastic crap, that whenever you see one, they are (at best) fading in the chrome dept or are cracked and broken, anyway, someone made repo ones of them, you would think they would fly out the door, but according to the seller, it was the opposite.

His price was quite extreme at $300.00 but I dont think chroming a resin cast is cheap.

I bought the last 2 he had and he said he wasnt doing any more (not sure if he has or not, but I havnt seen them advertised)

I think you have to deal with percieved value a bit, the people that (these days) have to pay $1500 to $1700 for a re cast on their steering wheel would love to have the same job done for a few hundred, but no does it for that much, so, if they want a nice wheel, they pay for it.

Do you think your emblem (as is, where your recomending glueing it on) is worth $45+ $ ?

If its costing close to it, and you cant reduce the cost If it isnt worth your asking), then its not worth making, although, a cheaper casting method and cheaper material could work better?

Andy1974
Posted 2014-06-22 10:58 AM (#446069 - in reply to #445466)
Subject: RE: Forward Look emblem

Regular

Thanks for your review! I understand exactly what you mean. Yes, it costs me nearly 45$ to make them because the technician does not make it for nothing. My own work, doing the wax models, I have as good as not rated. I´m not doing it for the money, it´s just a part of my hobbies to try out what´s possible and maybe help out some of you.

With that handmaking methods I cannot garantee the stud and a straight backside. The backside is a problem that begins with the wax mold. Later, there is no seperate hole in the ceramic mold to wash out the wax of he stud, so it depends on luck if it is long, short or gone at all. The threaded hole would have to be drilled out later. It cannot be casted. But for me, the backside of the emblem is not important. A straight backside with stud and thread would only drive the price unnecessarily high.

I also have offers for both emblems from professional metal foundries. Using them, the FL emblem would have to cost $90 and the Fury script $320, both chrome plated. Minimum order quantity: 10 per piece, not knowing if they would sell.

I´m also interested and working on alternative methods. But the emblems will not be made of steel any more. I already have perfect 3D CAD models of both emblems. A friend drawed them for me. They can be 3D printed out (resin, plastic) and galvanized (expensive!) or coated with a special method called „chrome-on-all“. I have already seen objects coated like that and they came out really nice. But I have no idea yet if these alternative methods are more economical.

I know that Laurie in Australia also makes some emblems from resin – every few years. If he still sells them for the prices I know, I could never keep up with „German craftmanship“

However, interesting stuff in general and I will stay tuned.
ttotired
Posted 2014-06-22 6:52 PM (#446133 - in reply to #445466)

Expert 5K+

I was going to use "spectra chrome", but, by the time I priced it all out, it didnt seem to be much cheaper

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)