The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

58 DeSoto Firesweep Steering Box Output Shaft Seal Replacement
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Steering and SuspensionMessage format

furvedere
Posted 2016-06-20 5:09 PM (#514582)
Subject: 58 DeSoto Firesweep Steering Box Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Veteran

1958 DeSoto Firesweep 350 v8 w/ Power Steering. My Steering box starting leaking on the way home from a car show yesterday....steady drip (while engine running) right off the bottom of steering box and pitman arm. Nothing above is wet at all. Stops leaking after engine is shut off. By the sounds of it, this steering box is common to Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler from 58-early 80's? Found this out from Pro-Steer in Portland Oregon. Question: Has anyone replaced their steering box output shaft seal while steering box is still in car? Looking at photos, it looks like this seal is really buried. True?

Thanks, Bob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
udoittwo
Posted 2016-06-23 7:23 AM (#514835 - in reply to #514582)
Subject: RE: 58 DeSoto Firesweep Steering Box Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Expert

I believe I read in here one time that it is similar to how I replaced one in my first car a 1957 Chevy. They are up in there. IF you have a shop manual, without checking mine, it will probably tell you to use a puller that few of us may have?

I was 15, just bought my $50 Chevy and knew everything even though I had NEVER worked on a car in my life. My Dad offered his help but I was stubborn. I tried making hooks and thin screwdrivers and all and finally drilled a few holes in the seal, ran in screws and pulled the seal down after shredding it. Unfortunately, I had no idea of how seals worked and reinstalled the seal upside down plus I scratched the shaft a little. Leaking worse I let my Dad look. He said to drop the arm, put the bucket under it, start the car, and turn the wheel side to side to the stops. A couple turns and there was a "pop" and the seal was out. The fluid pressure pushed out the seal.

I believe I had to do a seal in my GTO also and it worked just like that. Once I dropped the arm, before I popped the seal, I cleaned the lower shaft and inside wall so the dirt would blow out mostly with the seal and fluid. I just can't remember if the nut and washer should be started a little but I think I remember the seal popped directly into the bucket.

It's been almost 30 years sence I did that and my memeory is not as good as it was, so I am not 100% sure anymore if this is all correct. IF I had to do it today without anyone telling me differently, and on my memory, I would drop the arm a place a bucket under it and see what happens.

If i am wrong, and this method might do some sort of damage, at least someone here say so.
furvedere
Posted 2016-06-23 12:18 PM (#514859 - in reply to #514835)

Veteran

udoittwo - 2016-06-23 7:23 AM

I believe I read in here one time that it is similar to how I replaced one in my first car a 1957 Chevy. They are up in there. IF you have a shop manual, without checking mine, it will probably tell you to use a puller that few of us may have?

I was 15, just bought my $50 Chevy and knew everything even though I had NEVER worked on a car in my life. My Dad offered his help but I was stubborn. I tried making hooks and thin screwdrivers and all and finally drilled a few holes in the seal, ran in screws and pulled the seal down after shredding it. Unfortunately, I had no idea of how seals worked and reinstalled the seal upside down plus I scratched the shaft a little. Leaking worse I let my Dad look. He said to drop the arm, put the bucket under it, start the car, and turn the wheel side to side to the stops. A couple turns and there was a "pop" and the seal was out. The fluid pressure pushed out the seal.

I believe I had to do a seal in my GTO also and it worked just like that. Once I dropped the arm, before I popped the seal, I cleaned the lower shaft and inside wall so the dirt would blow out mostly with the seal and fluid. I just can't remember if the nut and washer should be started a little but I think I remember the seal popped directly into the bucket.

It's been almost 30 years sence I did that and my memeory is not as good as it was, so I am not 100% sure anymore if this is all correct. IF I had to do it today without anyone telling me differently, and on my memory, I would drop the arm a place a bucket under it and see what happens.

If i am wrong, and this method might do some sort of damage, at least someone here say so.

Thanks very much. I appreciate your input. Just climbed out from under there....managed to watch it leak with motor running. Wow...my seal is leaking badly, so much that I have to wonder if there will be enough pressure behind it to push the seal out...but I will try what you said regardless. I've got to wonder if the pressure in the steering box has already pushed the seal out? I managed to get both nuts off the pitman arm but arm is not budging with very limited space to hit it downwards with a hammer. I have no puller. Using a puller is a must I take it? Has anyone out there improvised/fabbed something up to pull the arm? I have some chains and a gear puller I can dismantle.

Bob
udoittwo
Posted 2016-06-23 7:59 PM (#514897 - in reply to #514582)

Expert

Go to a Pep Boys type store. They will usually lend you a puller. I the seal should have nowhere to go until you give it space, so I can't move down until you remove the arm. You have no room for a "pickle/tuning" fork ball joint seperator[again, probably lent at a parts store]?

Again, I am not sure if I am giving you the correct info and I wish someone would help.
furvedere
Posted 2016-06-24 9:08 PM (#515011 - in reply to #514582)

Veteran

photo IMG_1331_zpsbc4hxyox.jpg

photo IMG_1334_zpslrlohzpl.jpg

photo IMG_1335_zpsc7jn1cps.jpg

Worked exactly as you said...thanks very much. I bought a $22.00 puller. None of the local Auto Parts stores had one to rent. i removed the Pitman Arm no problem, then the dust cover, the e-ring, and the washer. I started the car up and turned the steering wheel to the both extremes and heard the fluid pouring out into my catch pan. Sure enough, I got under there and saw that the seal popped right out. I know you saved me a lot of time as I would not have known to force the seal out with the pressure of the power steering pump. I would have tried to dig it out and who knows what I would have gotten myself into with that! You know...by the lack of responses by any other members, I have a feeling this clever "trick" is not well known so, I hope this thread helps someone else out in the future.

Thanks again...

Bob
Powerflite
Posted 2016-06-24 11:09 PM (#515023 - in reply to #515011)

Expert 5K+

Yes, that's a neat trick. Any chance Karl's father can come help me with some other stuff?
udoittwo
Posted 2016-06-25 8:49 AM (#515058 - in reply to #514582)

Expert

Beautiful car by the way!

I'm really happy it worked like I remember or what I remember.

My Dad had a great sence of humor, a lot of common sence and [fortunately for me] a LOT of patience. Maybe a little late but THANKS DAD!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Karl.
furvedere
Posted 2016-07-01 10:40 AM (#515651 - in reply to #514582)
Subject: Re: 58 DeSoto Firesweep Steering Box Output Shaft Seal Replacement

Veteran

Now to add the right fluid. I know ATF is used in these older Mopar PS pumps but what flavor? Is Dexron III/Mercon ok?

Bob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)