The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DIY help?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Body, Glass, Interior and TrimMessage format

Ray
Posted 2017-07-21 8:01 PM (#544570)
Subject: DIY help?

Expert

I am at the point in life where it is not really possible to pay for body work on my 61 Chrysler. I have what appears to be several door dings in the rear quarter panel. They are not very distinct and I am guessing that the previous owner tried to work them himself. While doing that he created the commom wave effect.

Can someone point me to a site that will help me do this correctly? I have much more time than money. 

Also, let me know if you feel that this is a bad idea.

Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mikes2nd
Posted 2017-07-21 11:11 PM (#544584 - in reply to #544570)
Subject: Re: DIY help?

Expert 5K+

you mean he bondo'd them up? let see some pics. Or are they just dents?

If your car is black its easy to reshoot black cars, you just have to buff and polish.
51coronet
Posted 2017-07-21 11:44 PM (#544587 - in reply to #544570)
Subject: RE: DIY help?

Extreme Veteran

There are lots of videos on youtube. If you have the time I do recommend doing the work yourself as it can be very very time consuming to get right.

I'm no expert at body work but these cars are made of some pretty tough steel bodies that make it hard to massage dents out. I have heated panels red hot and hit with a hammer to get dents out but even that involves some pretty hefty swings. It is definitely a skill I don't have the patience for or lack of talent for it.

If you plan on using body filler a long sanding handle like device will help keep a clean straight profile. I have one that is about 8 or 10 inches and works pretty good at leveling the surfaces out. Changing up the motion from side to side to up and down to diagonal helps to keep the surface straight and flat.

Lead is probably the best filler but not the easiest or safest to work with. Kinda pricey also but should never peel off like bondo will.
I want to use lead for my next project just to get an idea of how it works. haven't tried it yet but would prefer it over anything else on the market for filling in.

I have used a few different fillers and have seen what some do after a few years in the weather. Bondo tends to swell so I don't ever use that junk on any big fills. May use it on tiny dings. There are some more expensive ones that claim to not absorb water or are water proof. I tend to use these for my repairs. USC all metal, fiberglass resins or jellies are better than bondo in my opinion but take more time to sand.

Anyway hope this helps. Watch some of the how to videos for sure to get an idea of what is needed and the work involved. Newer cars use way thinner sheet metal so don't be misled by how easy some of the dents and creases come out in the videos. Our FL cars are steel sheet metal....the good stuff that's hard to work with.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)