The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look NON-Technical Discussions -> Members RidesMessage format

Powerflite
Posted 2018-11-20 1:17 AM (#573828 - in reply to #572778)
Subject: Re: Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe

Expert

Thanks James and Garrett. I don't usually dive headfirst into rust repair, but in this case, I had to. We decided not to travel this Thanksgiving so I should get a good block of time to work on it this weekend. I hope I get as much done as I envisioned in my head; which pretty much never happens.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
macedon
Posted 2018-11-20 9:16 AM (#573839 - in reply to #572778)

Elite Veteran

Wow. Fantastic progress in such a short time. Congrats. You are welcome to stop by my shop anytime.
Powerflite
Posted 2018-11-23 8:52 PM (#574039 - in reply to #573839)

Expert

Thanks Dave, if I am ever in your part of Texas, I definitely will!

I finished welding the inner qtr panel and painted it. I had to remove the undercoating on it first. I made it out of a door skin from a '63 Nova I had laying around. But I wish I would have put the undercoating on the other side of the panel. It was a real pain to get it off. I didn't want it on the inside for fear of it eventually coming off and clogging up the drain with bare metal underneath it.

It looks like someone tried to lift the car by the rusted rocker and bent up all the inner metal on it. It took me quite a while, but I managed to unbend all the inner rocker and got it in the proper position again. The outer metal there was torn up & rusted so I tacked an entire new rocker over the top of it to give it strength and welded up a number of cracks & holes in the surrounding metal.

After that was done, I got to install my sweet new qtr panel. It went on really easily, and the only issue with it was the metal stuck out a little too far near the wheel lip so I had to massage it into shape before I welded it in. I paint all the in-between sides before I weld them together, mark the locations for the spot welds, and lightly grind the paint off with a tiny cutter. THat way, I get paint all between the joints. I didn't finish welding it because I wanted to get to the frame swap ASAP. I will finish welding it and clean up the welds in the next week or so, but it was now strong enough to lift so I went ahead and did it. I was able to pull the old frame out tonight and stripped most of the stuff off of it in the dark. Tomorrow, I will get the new frame under there and cut up the old one.

(57NY Left Rocker Cover.jpg)

(57NY Left Rear Qtr Welded.jpg)

(57NY Frame Extraction.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY Left Rocker Cover.jpg (147KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments 57NY Left Rear Qtr Welded.jpg (139KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments 57NY Frame Extraction.jpg (155KB - 9 downloads)
DejaVu
Posted 2018-11-25 4:32 AM (#574089 - in reply to #572778)

It is thoroughly impressive to see the pace with which you attack these repairs. I'd love to see timelapse video of your driveway over the last year or so!

Keep up the great work!
Powerflite
Posted 2018-11-25 9:34 AM (#574093 - in reply to #572778)
Subject: RE: Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe

Expert

Thanks Ian, having a block of time off work helps alot

I decided to paint the rear axle housing before I button it up to the new frame so I didn't get to install it yesterday. The leaf springs are the originals to the new '57 Windsor frame that are in great shape. The New Yorker leafs went into the scrap bin. But I had to use all of the hardware from the New Yorker as I can't seem to find the hardware from the Windsor. I know it's somewhere in my garage! It's a lot of manual labor swapping suspension parts around. My muscles aren't real happy this morning. Looking at the T-bars yesterday, I noticed that the right side was visibly bent. The left is very slightly bent, but probably livable. Strange, because I would have expected it to be the other way around since the frame was cut on the left side. So it looks like I will be using the Windsor bars on the car, which have the same part numbers anyway. It seems this car had a hard life in its past.

(57NY Frame Install.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY Frame Install.jpg (177KB - 7 downloads)
Powerflite
Posted 2018-12-04 3:16 PM (#574634 - in reply to #572778)
Subject: RE: Turquoise 57 New Yorker Coupe

Expert

I got the frame in last week, but I set the body down in the back on 2 boards lying across the hump. So the rear part of the body is resting on those instead of the frame and makes it sit higher in the back. But the front part is sitting on the frame mounts with the bolts loosely installed. I did this because I have 3 rear body mounts that need work.

I think I am going to only fix the 2 most rear mounts right now and save the other 1 for later, just to be able to get the car put together more quickly. The first mount I am working on is a result of someone cutting the mount out of the body. I presume that this was a shortcut to not having to remove a rusted nut, but cutting it like that doesn't look easy to do, so I am at a loss to explain the reasoning behind it. I will have to make a new panel for it and weld it in place. Not easy to do, because it will likely have to be done upside down. I HATE upside down welding. I still have burn marks on my chest from the last time one of those lava balls found it's way into there. The other mount is rusted in that area and requires a patch.

I also cleaned up & painted the front control arms on the car and re-installed them to the new frame. I was surprised to find out that I couldn't re-use the old hardware from the New Yorker because they used 1/2"-20 fine threaded bolts, and the '57 Windsor frame uses 1/2"-13 coarse threaded bolts. What the?! So I checked out all my other cars and found that all the earlier '57 vehicles used the fine threaded bolts, and all the really late '57 & '58 cars used the coarse thread. This '57 Windsor frame was from a really late production build. Luckily, I managed to find the old Windsor hardware to put it back together. Now I just need to find that alignment wedge for the steering box!

Finally, it took me a while, but I got the trunk lid back on, and latched in place. I had to remove a broken bolt from it, make a tool to re-attach the trunk springs, and find my extra catch that was missing from the car. But it is done now and works well. That was the biggest priority I had because it's a pain to try and keep rain out of there with it off.

(57NY Rear Body Mount Missing.jpg)

(57NY Front Suspension.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 57NY Rear Body Mount Missing.jpg (174KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 57NY Front Suspension.jpg (198KB - 1 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)