The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Torqueflite shifts hard into reverse. Bang!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

fivespeedv8
Posted 2021-04-06 8:42 PM (#610757)
Subject: Torqueflite shifts hard into reverse. Bang!

Regular

I have a '59 dodge coronet D500 with a freshly rebuilt 383 and the original transmission that was rebuilt by the previous owner 25+ years  (and 20k miles) ago. 

The car has been off the road for several years and I've gotten it back together, but the transmission shifts hard into reverse with a bang and will break the rear wheels free (chirp!)  even with my foot on the brake. The transmission was doing some other weird things until I adjusted the Kick down lever all the way forward to eliminate that is a possibility. Naturally I won't downshift now but that's the least of my worries. 

I suspect the previous owner added some sort of a shift kit a part of the rebuild, but I don't know if that would be the culprit. Could this be a pressure or band adjustment issue? I've never monkeying with those sort of things on this transmission. The only thing I've done was drain and change the fluid, And based on the recommendation of the transmission rebuild or who inspected it, I used Dex/Merc with 1 quart of type F. I'm wondering if the added friction of that portion of type F is causing the issue.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2021-04-06 9:07 PM (#610759 - in reply to #610757)
Subject: Re: Torqueflite shifts hard into reverse. Bang!

Expert

The reverse apply servo spring could be wrong or broken. Also the transmission line pressure could be too high. Shop manual has a pretty good diagnostic chart. Band adjustment is not your problem.
wizard
Posted 2021-04-07 1:29 AM (#610765 - in reply to #610757)
Subject: Re: Torqueflite shifts hard into reverse. Bang!

Board Moderator & Exner Expert 10K+

You should not push the reverse button directly. Start the engine, push the D, and let the pump fill up the circuit and build up the line pressure. Then press the R. If there's no hard clonk then it's ok.

The R used the highest pressure in the transmission and if the R is pushed in on an empty circuit there will be a pressure shot that can destroy the transmission. Even worse if the engine is revved for to build up pressure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)