The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transmission Shift Problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

JedRhule
Posted 2023-01-11 8:13 PM (#626877)
Subject: Transmission Shift Problem

Veteran

Reading the thread about the AT 205 Stop Leak reminded me of a problem I had when I got my 1956 CRL with the 315 Poly and Powerflite. The car had been in a private collection for many years and had driven only 600 miles in the previous 4 years. The transmission leaked everywhere and the front universal boot was torn open. I located an old-school rebuilder who replaced the boot and fixed all the leaks with the aid of Dave's handy-dandy transmission reseal tips. A few days later it developed a bad clanking noise from the driveshaft at low speeds. The shop said I needed to rebuild the front universal joint. I began a search for the needed parts.
I had to drive 25 miles to visit a custom car shop about installing a Vintage Air System. By the time I got there, the drive shaft was banging so bad, when I slowed to a stop, that I thought it would break. It was a little better when I started home, so began testing various scenarios. I tried putting it in neutral when stopping..No better. I tried shutting the engine off when stopping.. No better. The only thing that helped was downshifting to LOW. I figured that it was hanging in HIGH gear (sticking governor or shift valve). I pulled into an auto parts store and bought a bottle of Lucas on the advice of the counter man, and poured it in right there in their lot. I had 15 miles to go home and the transmission got better at each stop light. It is still working perfectly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)