The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1956 desoto speedometer cable
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

NYFDX
Posted 2023-04-23 7:17 PM (#629089)
Subject: 1956 desoto speedometer cable

Regular

Looking for an assist on pulling and lubing the speedo cable on my 56 fire dome wagon. Any good tips other than what’s in the service Manuel? Also, what’s the best lube to use?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Powerflite
Posted 2023-04-23 9:16 PM (#629094 - in reply to #629089)
Subject: Re: 1956 desoto speedometer cable

Expert 5K+

Usually any issues with the speedometer jumping are due to the speedometer itself that needs lubing. The grease that was used inside them turns hard and will cause it to jump around. Take it apart and clean it out, install new grease, and it'll be good to go again. If your problem really is caused by the cable, then it should be very easy to unscrew the end by hand on both sides to get the cable out and lube it. Your only trouble will be to get it done without disturbing the fragile wire insulation. It's a delicate ecosystem under there that's best not disturbed.
I just use standard moly grease, but I don't know if that's ideal or not.
NYFDX
Posted 2023-04-26 9:31 PM (#629207 - in reply to #629089)

Regular

Thanks
I'll take a look
Fireflite56
Posted 2023-04-27 4:53 PM (#629224 - in reply to #629207)

Extreme Veteran

For the cable itself, unscrew it from the speedometer housing, pull the cable itself out, and lubricate it with a graphite-based lubricant. I was able to buy speedometer cable lubricant through my local parts store (they had to order it), which sells Advanced Auto Parts products. You'll also want to unscrew the wick from the speedometer housing where the cable goes into the housing and put some lightweight (like sewing machine) oil on that. As stated, you may ultimately have to remove and disassemble the speedometer housing to lubricate the gears, but the cable and wick are pretty quick....assuming you can get under the dash okay.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)