The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1955 Dodge 270 Hemi valve springs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> General Technical Discussion and TroubleshootingMessage format

Retired55
Posted 2023-05-15 10:34 PM (#629582)
Subject: 1955 Dodge 270 Hemi valve springs.

New User

Too many choices in valve springs for my 1955 270 Super Red Ram.
I found finding the correct valve springs one of the harder parts to find.
Yes I can find springs from the popular places available and known to us but Im looking at “opening up” the spring perches to fit the newer styles available.
My springs measure- OD 1.340ish, double springs, and at 1.69” about 80#
I don't mind using a spring with a dampener as this would help with stem seal installation, the old style using two full springs didn’t leave much room.
I’ve been told Elgin spring RV634 is a popular replacement option but am unsure.
Any one use these or have a solid replacement number. Going back into a bone stock engine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
PolyJ
Posted 2023-05-16 1:42 AM (#629584 - in reply to #629582)
Subject: Re: 1955 Dodge 270 Hemi valve springs.

Veteran

Hi Retired55. I'm not following what you mean by "opening up the spring perches to fit the newer styles available." Do you mean machining the spring pads on the cylinder heads to fit taller or larger-diameter springs? Or are you talking about using offset keepers and/or retainers to fit a taller spring? I've not heard "spring perches" used regarding valvetrain, so I appreciate the clarification to get a better idea of what you're asking.

At any rate, the first place to start with spring selection is what the camshaft profile and engine rpm require since the seat pressure and open pressure are dictated by the camshaft lift, ramp profile, and the maximum rpm the engine will see (valve weight also plays a role, but I'm assuming you're running factory sized steel valves from your comment about bone stock). The installed height is dictated by the retainer in relationship to the spring pad with the valves closed. If you already know with absolute certainty the cam profile (as in you have the cam card, have pulled the number, have personally measured, or had someone personally measure) and are struggling with which spring to use, you need to look at all the quality springs available with the suitable OD/ID (for the pad, retainer, and to clear the valve stem seal) along with install and bind heights to find one that gives you the seat and open pressures the cam and engine rpm need that falls within bind tolerance. Without more details (cam profile, your intentions for modification, etc.), any recommendation will be a guess in the last place you want guesswork.
Mopar1
Posted 2023-06-04 6:40 PM (#629994 - in reply to #629582)
Subject: Re: 1955 Dodge 270 Hemi valve springs.

Expert

I bel;ieve he's talking about widening the spring pockets. That could be done, don't deepen them. I'd look through all spring catalogs first before opening them up.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)