The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter failure ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Chrome58
Posted 2023-05-29 4:35 AM (#629864)
Subject: Starter failure ?

Expert

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I was out with the Belvedere, to go to a very big event in Belgium, at Ciney.

On the outward journey, I stop to take fuel, and when restarting, it has some difficulties, and it seems to me that the starter turns slowly. I immediately think of the alternator, but I have nothing to check. At the end of the day, when it's time to leave, the starter still turns more slowly, but it starts anyway.

Arrived at home, I check the voltage at the battery terminals: 12.7V. Which seems more than enough to me, and seems to rule out the alternator as the culprit. Unfortunately, I had stopped the engine, so it was not possible to check. I put the battery to charge anyway, to restart it and check the alternator output. Once recharged, I try to restart it, and there, the starter hardly turns, and finally stops completely.

It seems to be a failure the starter, but it is strange that it turns more and more slowly.
I would have rather thought that a starter failure would mean no turning at all.

What's your opinion ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2023-05-29 8:38 AM (#629867 - in reply to #629864)
Subject: Re: Starter failure ?

Expert

Those symptoms can point to a failing starter, check all the grounds also.
56D500boy
Posted 2023-05-29 1:55 PM (#629873 - in reply to #629864)
Subject: RE: Starter failure ?

Expert 5K+

I had a starter problem that I thought could be solved by upsizing the cable from the starter solenoid (fender mounted 4 lug on a 56 Dodge) but that didn't work. So I removed and opened up my starter.

Turns out there are carbon washers/shims at one end of the armature and they had disintegrated, allowing the armature to physically come in contact with an end of the starter case, causing shorting and damage to the armature.

The solution was a new armature and a rebuild (with new carbon washers/shims).

Been fine since then.

http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=70560&...

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-05-29 1:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)