The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Investigation of an early(ish) Powerflite Speedometer Pinion Gear
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Transmission and Rear AxleMessage format

56D500boy
Posted 2023-08-05 9:29 PM (#631184)
Subject: Investigation of an early(ish) Powerflite Speedometer Pinion Gear

Expert 5K+

After driving my 56 Dodge with swapped-in Torqueflite (with unknown speedo gear) on the highway (at an indicated 65-70 mph), I decided that I need to get back to finding
an alternative speedometer pinion gear, like a 19 Tooth 1636 408 as per this olderthread that I started in 2020, shortly after the swap was completed and slightly before the Pandemic.

This: http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=73495&...

I did a bit of poking around looking for a 19 tooth gear for an A-466 cast iron TorqueFlite (still no luck). Then I decided that I at least needed to figure out how the 56 Dodge Powerflite speedo gear worked.

So out to the garage to investigate the now "spare" Powerflite (laying on a 4 wheel moving dolly at the very front of the garage). The first thing was to remove the speedo gear assembly.

The hex nut portion of the assembly is larger that 1" but smaller than 1 1/8" (probably 1 1/16"). The biggest SAE sockets I have are a 1" and a 1.25" so no help there. But I have a lot of metric sockets, e.g. 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 mm etc. I quickly determined that a 27 mm socket was about right. 27 m = 1.06299 inches which is basically 1 1/16". Initially I tried a 12 point socket but I quickly decided to use a 27 mm six point for less chance of slipping off. So that and a 24" breaker bar and the speed gear housing broke free after probably 67 years of attachment to the Powerflite.

As I turned the housing out, I soon saw that the speedo gear barely fits through the opening in the tailshaft case.

After some gentle tugging it came out. By then I had noted some kind of "C" clip at the outer end of the speedo gear. When the housing and gear was out, I realized that the only way that
the clip could be removed was to remove the gear from the shaft. At this point, a small gear puller could have been used. Lacking one of those, I supported the underside of the pinion gear with two sturdy metal pieces over a 1" or so opening the jaws of my bench vice. A little tapping with a hammer and a further bit of persuasion with a nail set on the end of the metal shaft,
the shaft was extracted from the speedo pinion gear.

By then I noted that the gear PN was 1599 395 and was 17 tooth which made sense for my 3.54:1 rear and original-sized 7.10/15 tires.

Upon further examination of the "C" clip is became clear that it is more of a wide-mouth "PacMan" clip that slips over one of the two pairs of indents in the outer end of the metal shaft. The parts book calls that part a "lock" and it does lock the shaft in place (at least somewhat).

I also noted that the inner end of the metal shaft was serrated so that when the speedo pinion gear is pressed (tapped?) onto the shaft, the serrations eat into the plastic to prevent slippage.

As I investigated further, still looking for various part numbers, I saw that after sometime in late 1956 model year, in time for the 1957 model year, the pinion gear design was changed to become a one piece gear and shaft made of plastic. I do NOT know how that plastic shaft is locked into the housing. (???)

This is what I discovered today:

Edited by 56D500boy 2023-08-06 3:20 AM

(PartsCatalogPlate21-2ShowingPowerFliteSpeedoGearComponents.jpg)

(PartsCatalogPlate21-2ShowingPowerFliteSpeedoGearComponents_ListOf113To118.jpg)

(56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerCableAttachmentPoint.jpg)

(56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerCableAttachmentPoint_RemovalWith27mmSocket.jpg)

(56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerCableAttachmentPoint_PinionGearAndHolderExtraction.jpg)

(56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerPinionGear_PNsExample1559395_17Tooth.jpg)

(56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerPinionGearRelatedParts.jpg)

(56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerPinionGearComponents.jpg)

(56PowerfliteSpeedometerPinionGear17ToothPN1559395.jpg)

(LaterModelOnePiecePlasticPowerfliteSpeedometerPinionGear_1752245.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PartsCatalogPlate21-2ShowingPowerFliteSpeedoGearComponents.jpg (149KB - 52 downloads)
Attachments PartsCatalogPlate21-2ShowingPowerFliteSpeedoGearComponents_ListOf113To118.jpg (62KB - 58 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerCableAttachmentPoint.jpg (147KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerCableAttachmentPoint_RemovalWith27mmSocket.jpg (148KB - 51 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerCableAttachmentPoint_PinionGearAndHolderExtraction.jpg (149KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerPinionGear_PNsExample1559395_17Tooth.jpg (149KB - 46 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerPinionGearRelatedParts.jpg (148KB - 48 downloads)
Attachments 56DodgePowerFlite_SpeedometerPinionGearComponents.jpg (139KB - 49 downloads)
Attachments 56PowerfliteSpeedometerPinionGear17ToothPN1559395.jpg (149KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments LaterModelOnePiecePlasticPowerfliteSpeedometerPinionGear_1752245.jpg (148KB - 48 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)