The Forward Look Network
The Forward Look Network
Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Chat | eBay | Calendars | Albums | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter pinion crashed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forward Look Technical Discussions -> Electrical, Battery and ChargingMessage format

Zorc
Posted 2023-08-22 2:58 AM (#631485)
Subject: Starter pinion crashed

Regular

Hello,
recently I had a nasty noise when starting and then only the electric motor from the starter turned fast. Short test by hand: the solenoid can be engaged. When I then went under the car and removed the starter I saw the disaster . The pinion of the starter had completely destroyed itself, all teeth were down. How can such a thing happen ? I have never experienced this before. The engine turns easily.
I thought I'll just buy a new starter and asked some parts dealers here in Germany - there is no starter for my 61 model. And actually it is written as a problem here on the board too - I read later. One dealer said the starter from 62 should fit, is the same engine. If it does not fit I can return it. The starter came ( Powermaster ) and it fits wonderfully to the engine - but it does not turn the engine.
I then measured a bit and found the reason : the pinion only goes out about 40 mm , for our 61 the pinion must go out about 50 mm ( 2 inch ) to come against the ring gear / tooth of the converter. Sent back. So the problem is the gearbox, the ring gear / tooth on the Castiron gearbox is a little further away from the engine.
So I decided to order only the starter drive at Rockauto. I am very satisfied with Rockauto - the order was in Germany after 5 days. The spare part then also fit and the starter could be installed. Just in time because I wanted the next day on a big US car meeting in Denmark.
But I'm still amazed how something like this can break.
Greetings
Roger

(starter.jpg)

(romo1.jpg)

(RRRmmm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments starter.jpg (71KB - 43 downloads)
Attachments romo1.jpg (142KB - 43 downloads)
Attachments RRRmmm.jpg (236KB - 38 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Shep
Posted 2023-08-22 9:51 AM (#631490 - in reply to #631485)
Subject: Re: Starter pinion crashed

Expert

Possible the teeth of the drive did not match the flywheel teeth? Check the flywheel for damage also.
Zorc
Posted 2023-08-22 1:08 PM (#631498 - in reply to #631485)
Subject: Re: Starter pinion crashed

Regular

the front of the teeth has lost about 1mm of material. this means that about 9mm of tooth width remains. i think this is enough.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

* * * This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated * * *

(Delete all cookies set by this site)