[GFS] Round Air Filters?

I decided it was time to replace the air filters on my 58 350.  As many of
you know, my car is unrestored and I believe very original.  When I removed the
air cleaners, which are oval as we all know, the filter element inside was
round, 6 1/4" OD, 5" ID and 2 3/8" high.  The base of the air cleaner has two
raised sheet metal brackets to support the round filter element.  They fit very
snug; this does not look like an aftermarket addition or someone trying to make
the wrong filter fit.

When I orderred the new filters, from Andy Bernbaum in Massachusetts, I got
oval filters, and they fit fine.  When I called Bernbaums they said they never
heard of round filters in the oval air cleaners.

Anyone else ever seen round filters?  Does your lower air cleaner housings
have supports which look like they would hold a round filter element?

Just one more thing, my air cleaners, as well as valve covers, fan, gas
lines, etc, are chrome plated, which also seem rare but not unheard of.

Thanks for the help.

Art Linden

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/BBiolB/TM