Re: [GFS] 58 FURY QUESTION

Ed,
This is Charles Grant in Tampa, Florida.

My fatherm who worked for Chrysler, purchased a new 1958 Fury in August of 1958.  I am in the process of restoring it now.  The Golden Commando came with painted valve covers and breathers.  However, we removed and modified the engine in 1963 (when I was 14 and worshipped the very ground that car rolled on.)  It was bored .060, with the heads ported and polished, Crower re-ground cam and carbs rebuild by Don Garlit's speed shop in Tampa.  We also had the valve covers and breathers chromed.

With the engine compartment thoroughly washed, re-painted and detailed, it was a "sight to behold."  The combination of gold, black, chrome and buckskin beige would knock your eyes out.  It was truly beautiful. But then of course, a common practice for "high performance" enthusiasts of the late fifties and early sixties was to "dress up" the engine compartment so that it looked as good as it ran.  Unfortunately, most drag strip tech reps didn't realize the engine originally came with two-four barrels, and we usually ended up running in a modified class at the drags.

To your question, however, I have never seen nor heard of any documentation regarding factory chromed parts for the Golden Commando engine.  But of course, you never know for sure.  For example, this particular Fury was purchased as it sat on the show room floor at Hawk Chrysler-Plymouth without bumper wings.  Although the rear bumper was damaged and removed during the 60's, the original front bumper still has the holes for attachment of the bumper wings, but carriage bolts with washers and a nut were substituted to fill the hole.  I've always assumed that some previous buyer on the car lot "really wanted those bumper wings," and they ended up on a Belvedere long since gone. To be honest, I didn't like them then, nor do I now.  In my opinion, they detract from the flowing lines and anodized trim which are part of the beauty of the Fury.  Plus the car weighed +/- 60 pounds less without all that additional bulk. But enough on that....

I also possess a 1964 Plymouth Sport Fury 426 Street Wedge.  It did come from the factory with chrome valve covers and a single breather.  One of the earlier Max Wedge engines ('62 I believe) was "showcased" with chrome valve covers and dual breathers, but the cars as delivered did not have the chrome additions.  To the best of my knowledge, this Max Wedge engine was the first to showcase chromed valve covers. All of the later Max Wedges came with painted breathes, but then they didn't stay on for long anyway.

The Fury will be restored as it was purchased and modified by my Father and myself with the addition of Air Conditioning to make the humid summers in Florida a little more pleasant.  If you want to dress up your Fury, I would suggest that you get an extra set of valve covers (relatively cheap) and a set of breathers (not so cheap) and have the ability to run either way.  Only your fellow Golden Fin Society members will know for sure!

Charles Grant
Dunnellon, Florida