Re: IML: TRANNY I.D.

Larry, I would not spend big Dollars on Hardend Seats etc when all you need to do is run an Upper Cylinder Lube Kit, or even beter run it on Gas, George.
----- Original Message -----
From: Blomberg
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 9:00 AM
Subject: IML: TRANNY I.D.

I have a 1960 LeBaron Sedan. The other day I pulled out the engine and transmission as a single unit and sent them off to the mechanic. Both the engine and tranny will be stripped down, inspected/repaired/refurbished and rebuilt. The engine will then run on unleaded petrol as the LRP is virtually gone here in Sydney.

Two  questions please - To the best of my limited knowledge this tranny is the A488 3 speed Torqueflite with the cast iron casing. I believe that this tranny was introduced in 1956 and was replaced in 1962 by the A727 with an aluminium casing - Is this correct. I have read that the Powerflite continued up into 1961 also with the cast iron casing.

I also noticed that the rear extension which houses the governor assembly and the output shaft assembly is painted green. The rest of the tranny is unpainted. Does anyone know if this green is factory original?

Stay safe

Larry B
1960 LeBaron Sedan