RE: IML: 1968 Questions

Quoting Dick Benjamin <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Question #4
> No '68 Imperial left the factory with a dual snorkel air cleaner, unless it
> was some kind of special order.  These are luxury cars, not hot rods,
> regardless of what you'll hear from D^2!
> The standard air cleaner has a flat spot across the front to clear the
> backside of the AC compressor.  It also has a flat spot on the underside to
> clear the coil.

Dick, the dual snorkel air cleaner was standard when the car was ordered with
the "dual 440".  Check the 68 brochure posted in the year-by-year.

You are right, the average person regarded these cars as luxury cars, but at
that time for at least a few people, a luxury car was considered a car that can
do everything better than the average car, including performance.  This idea was
gradually lost, and in the 80's we had "luxury cars" (including Imperials) that
could barely get out of their own way.
D^2