IML: Transmission woes on '90 Imp

Hi all,

My wife took the '90 Imp down the hill to go shopping.
While driving, the transmission started slipping badly.
This was accompanied by a whining sound, and a few
seconds later, by a "Check Trans" message in the Message
Center.  She figured out that if she shut the car off and
started it back up, she'd get a good 10 seconds out of the
transmission before it ran out of power again, so she was
able to nurse it the 100 yards to the nearest parking lot.

We had the car towed home, and it seemed to run okay when
cooled down, though we only ran it long enough to get from
the street to the driveway.  I've had problems in the past
with the car hesitating for up to 30 seconds when I shift
it into Drive when first starting up.  Fluid level is
normal, the fluid smells okay, and it was just changed
4,000 miles ago.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tim