From: MNTwin1@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Quality

I agree with Chris on the various quality points he makes.  I love my 68
Crown Coupe because it is a solid tight driving car.  It has great comfort
and is one of the best running drive trains I have ever know.

In 2000 I refinished all of the bronze trim inside the car.  It is amazing
what detail was put into the interior details.  If you look really close to
the metal surfaces inside the 68 Crown you will see that some are polished
and some are brushed.  The bronze trim applique is nestled in a chrome piece
that has a brushed face and a polished edge.  I dare say no one today puts
that much detail into any trim component.

May years ago my brother and I did the big nasty to my rusted out old 75
Imperial and a 77 NYB that was also decaying from rust.  As we prepared the
two cars side by side for their ultimate destruction it was readily apparent
that the Imperial had considerably more interior sound deadening material.
Going further we also found that components that you would have thought
would be the same were definitely different (e.g. seat motors).  The
Imperial also had more hardware throughout (such as screws and clips).  Now
Mother may have been getting more efficient in building cars, but I would
concur that the extra stuff made the Imperial a better built car.  None of
this stuff would have been readily apparent to the person purchasing the
car.  Its not until years down the road when a car starts to show its age,
or dare I say, doesn't show its age that the extra bits show their true
value.

I had an uncle who used to be a liquor distributor.  He always said, if
you're going to drink, drink the best.  I apply that same thought to my
cars.  I will always buy as high up the quality ladder as my budget will
allow.  Generally I will take an Imperial over a NYB almost any day of the
week.  There are exceptions, but I truly believe that having the premium car
will give you more driving satisfaction.

Just my thought for the day.

Happy motoring.

Dale
68 Crown Coupe
60 New Yorker (2 door, sedan, T&C wagon - nearly an Imperial!)