IML: 1958 power cylinders for power top

The rods for my Power top are rusty, and may cause the cylinders to leak if I use them. The guy that is fixing the top Switch and other parts for the top meck. Asked if I can find new cylinders or get these rebuilt. Is this posable? The Top hasn't worked since 2000 when the switch broke and all I went could not or would not fix it or replace it. This local guy Stacy said an easy fix for the broken switch. He had a part made up for it and now is fear full of leaks because of the rust. If you can help or advise, please do.
Denis, in Ca. three 62's and a 58 Convert