Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 9:29 AM
Subject: IML: Ignition failure

I was driving the 72 last night and experienced
something new and before I go hunting wanted to ask if
anyone has a suggestion on this.

Symptom:
Car runs fine for 20 miles.

Starts to hiccup suddenly and repeatedly while in
motion on the freeway as if losing spark, fuel seems
fine.

Hiccup progresses and car dies running horribly rough,
getting little spark intermittently on different
cylinders.

Does not want to start in park, so I go to neutral.
restarts and seems to catch and die - detonation in
only a few cylinders.  Backfired up carb two seperate
times out of 20 attempts.

Starter solenoid/starter refuses to respond to key -
no noise but radio and other electrics work, so power
present/battery strong.

Wait 2 minutes and it does engage then goes dead on
retry, with intervals between response/dead
progressively longer.  Car now won't respond at all.

This feels an awful lot like a loose connection/heat
sort of thing. I did an engine swap very few miles
ago. Maybe I left something loose and it's worked its
way off and was arcing or something?

I plan to start my tour at the starter motor/solenoid
connections.  Anything else worth looking at?  I do
not suspect the column switch at this time - jiggling
it made no difference and it feels tight.

Kenyon Wills