RE: IML: Gas Prices

Okay, let's do the cost of ownership math.  All comparisons are to a new
car in the $20-25k price range.

You own your Imperial free and clear, so you do not have a car payment.

$6000/year to the good

Your car is almost fully depreciated, so it does not depreciate at the
accelerated rate of a new car

$4000/year to the good

Your car is old, so it's cheap to insure, and since you own it you are not
forced to carry comprehensive coverage.

$1500/year to the good

Your car is not worth very much, so you do not have to pay outrageous
vehicle registration fees and taxes.

$500/year to the good

Assuming the annual cost of repair to be equal, which is it not because we
all know how much new cars cost to fix,  your new car costs $12,000 more to
operate annually than your Imperial.

If you are insane like me and you drive 500 miles per week, or 25,000 miles
per year, your new car will average 25mpg, so you'll buy 1,040 gallons of
gas.  At $2.25 per gallon (that's the cheapest around here right now),
that's $2,340.  Your Imperial averages 12.5mpg downhill with a tailwind, so
that's $4,680 in gas.

So you're spending six dollars and forty-one cents more per day on gasoline
if you drive A LOT and your 440 is out of tune, as compared to how many
dollars per day for your new car?  What you can't afford is the new car, so
get rid of if and keep the Imperial!

-- David

                      "Greg Graham"
                      <gregtx@xxxxxxxxxxx>            To:       mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      ialclub.com

                      03/28/2005 02:59 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mailing-list

I love my '67 Convert, but certainly can't afford to drive it everyday.
The gas mileage simply isn't as economical as I'd like.... but nothing else
in my driveway puts as big a smile on my face as the Imperial does.   I'm
sure that there are those of you out ther with 1960 Imps that have the
similar gas mileage problem.  I love 1960 Imperials.  A 1960 Imp might get
13mpg, and if you drive it 100 miles a week, 52 weeks a year, at... oh....
say.... $2.15 per gallon, then you're spending $860 a year on fuel!  This
simply won't do.  I propose a rather appealing option.  I'd love to have a
1960... and I don't even care how many doors it has or which trim level I
end up with.  I'll take that Imperial off of your hands, save you all that
cash, AND I won't even charge you a dime in exchange for the favor.  No,
don't thank me, I'm just looking out for your best interests.  A red one...
I'd really like a red one.

On a more serious note, we had a nasty hail storm here in Austin last
Friday, and the pristine, original, black top on my '67 was a victim of the
storm.  Any suggestions as to where I can find a new top that best matches
the original?  My glass rear window was unscathed, so perhaps that can be
re-used by a shop when the new top is installed.  Greg

----------------- http://www.imperialclub.com ----------------- This
message was sent to you by the Imperial Mailing List. Please reply to
mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and your response will be shared with
everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for the Administrators should
be sent to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to