Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 8:15 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 1960-1963 Article

The fins that Imperial carried into the sixties were much taller than any of those remaining on other cars. It was almost as if it were '58 or '59 instead of '62 as far as Chrysler was concerned. As much as we love the fins NOW, they were definitely on the way out by the early sixties as far as automotive styling was concerned. Cadillac Studio went to great efforts to make sure the public was 'convinced' the last finned Cadillac was '64. According to literature of the time, the '65 models (and also the '66s) wore 'blades' at the rear of the cars and NOT fins! Officially, the fin died in the '64 model year for Cadillac and (much) earlier for other makes (i.e. 1960 for Lincoln and Chevrolet). It was a very gradual death as the '59 Cadillac's fins were the tallest ever to appear on a production American car and they grew smaller each year thereafter. As most of you know, the '59 Cadillac's fins were a direct result of those that appeared on the '57 Chrysler products. GM was not to be 'out-finned'!

The demise of the Imperial fin (imho) was not as gradual. In '62 they were standing tall (I like them so please don't send any hate messages, LOL!), but in '63 they were completely gone. I tend to agree with the C. A. article regarding Chrysler carrying the fins too far into the sixties and then abruptly cutting them off! Cadillac's ending of the fin was considerably more subtle.

----- Original Message ----- From: "jsadowski" <jsadowski@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 2:31 AM

I would have to not in my opinion. cebby had the sideways fin through 60 & Cadillac had the short fin through 66.
John
----- Original Message ----- From: <HavADope@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 12:03 AM
Subject: IML: 1960-1963 Article

If you guys make it to your local bookstore, there is the new issue of
Collectible Automobile June 2005. It has a big write up on the 1960-1963
Imperials, with nice photos of each year. I haven't read the complete article, but the
main question it raises is Did Chrysler keep the fins way too long, since
all others faded out roughly in the end of the 50's.
Personally, If they had not have kept them, I may not own one of my very
own. Plus I always loved the fins of the 57 chevy, until I saw the Imperial. Now
nothing compares! If anyone else gets a chance, check it out. I look forward
to reading it later.
Marc Lamp
604drht