Re: Re: IML: question @ my 1951 Imperial

     I don't see any mention of where you live.  You are having trouble
finding someone who knows something about your car?  Guess what,  qualified
knowledgeable mechanics have always been hard to find.  Not only is this a
problem for old cars, sometimes it is difficult for current models, where
there are supposedly "factory trained technicians" at the dealership.  Some
of the 51 guys will have to help you out here, but if you buy a few books,
you can become the expert.  Don't get the idea that a good auto mechanic is
some sort of dolt, because it takes more knowledge to be a good auto
mechanic than to be a master plumber, or carpenter, but it isn't
astrophysics, either.  There is a shop manual, probably shared with
Chrysler.  There will be a transmission manual.  And a parts book.  51 guys
will know the exact terminology to title these.  The car is simple as far as
electronics, but there is some significant degree of sophistication in the
brakes, the engine and the transmission.
    Email me privately and I will give you the email of a guy who knows
those transmissions so well, he can tell you by email what to do.  He is on
another MOPAR site run by Dave.
     Properly, your car does need to be driven.  Hopefully you live
somewhere that has nice weather, like San Diego.  Actually, it will  live
longer and more troublefree as a secondary car, rather than a museum piece
or daily driver.  A daily driver will kill it.  Therefore, you need a daily
driver other than this one.  If you live somewhere that has lousy weather,
then you will discover that if driven in foul weather, it will go down hill
fast.  The diecast will pit seriously, and you will have rust appear in
short order.  That was a serious problem when they were new, and 50+ years
later, it will appear much much faster than when it was new.
    I  really hate to discourage a guy who owns an old car, but if you
really want to customize one, find a car that needs lots of work anyway, not
a fine original.

JOhn