Re: Re: IML: question @ my 1951 Imperial

Hi;
 Clutch-o-Matic you say? I always thought that the 51's had an M6 Fluid
Torque semi automatic where you use the clutch to shift ranges (each range
has two speeds that shift automatically), or into reverse, but don't need it
to stop at an intersection. From what I understand those units are very
reliable, perhaps the clutch just needs adjustment or the unit itself needs
oil. The clutch can be rebuilt by places that redo brake shoes, the
solenoids can be found as well but usually only as six volt units.
 As for the hemi engine a gasket set for a 354 hemi is interchangable with a
331 and most of the parts are either available from Egge machine or PAW.
Cork and paper gaskets can be made from raw material (using the old gaskets
as patterns) available at any auto parts store, my first stop in locating
any parts. Ignition parts can be cross referenced with NAPA number which I
have if you need them.
  The tube radio is actually a good quality set manufactured for Chrysler by
Philco. It has two seperate units behind the dash; one is the tuner and the
other acts as the power supply and audio amplifier which has an oval speaker
mounted to it, they are connected by a cable and socket. It can be repaired
as well but one would have to know what it does or does not do before
diagnosing what's wrong. I would look for some old radio collectors in your
area and ask for advice.Usually the achiles heel of tube car radios is the
vibrator in the power supply, they can wear out or stick causing the fuse to
blow or the radio not to work.
  My honest opinion about the door handles is to leave them alone. Driving a
51' Imperial is rather like driving a Studebaker bullet nose, they are
unique enough that one doesn't have to customize it for it to stand out in a
row of 55'-57' Chebbies and Fords.
Best Regards
Arran Foster
1954 Imperial Newport
Needing A Left Side Tailight Bezel and other trim parts
1975 Chrysler Newport
Need to pick up a new speedo cable and a master cylinder.
1978 Puch Newport
I think that I will do a bearing job on the rear wheel.