RE: Re: IML: question @ my 1951 Imperial

Dude (sorry, I didn't catch your name),

If you haven't guessed by now, the group here is comprised of mostly stock
restoration guys.  Modifying an 18K mile car is probably giving a few guys
chest pains!  Now I'm a hot rodder, and I happen to have an Imperial, and
I'm planning to make some modifications as well.   With that said, I have to
argue the case for the stock guys.

If the car truly has only 18-some-thousand miles on it, and the car is clean
(hasn't sat outside its whole life, wasn't used as a chicken coupe, sat in a
swamp, etc.), then the car is more of a time capsule than a car at this
point.  A car is original only once.  It really would be a crime to shave
the door handles off.

The mailing list's website is an excellent resource for information on these
cars.  If there isn't much up there on your year (I don't know, I have a
'67), ask the list.  There might even be a member or two in your area that
can help out.  I'd concentrate on what it takes to get the car roadworthy
first, then consider customizing it.  Once it's on the road, it's easier to
tell what else it might need.  Plus you might just enjoy driving it as is.

If you really want a '50's custom, I'd suggest selling the Imperial to a
collector and buy another starting point.  If you dig the Imperial, and
still want a custom, maybe work out a partial trade with a collector for a
car at the other end of its life.  Something rougher (not a complete basket
case, that will kill your enthusiasm fast, I know) that might be too costly
to restore to stock but would make a good custom.  Something with missing or
damaged trim, pitted door handles, etc.  Pieces that would normally be
shaved off on a custom.  If the wiring is shot, go with a street rod kit and
convert the car to 12 volt.

Personally I'd rather see a rough car get customized than go to the crusher.
The selection of good old cars to work with isn't getting any bigger.  The
selection of well preserved low mileage original cars is even smaller.  I
think they should continue to be preserved.

There are companies that specialize in restoring old car radios too.  They
advertise in Hemming's Motor News.  If you don't have a copy, they are
available at most good book stores (with a good car magazine selection).

Are you sure the car only has 18K miles on it?  It's possible, but without
seeing the car I would suspect the odometer has been around the block at
least once.

I don't know if this helps your plight or not.  Ultimately it's your car, do
what you want with it.  Good luck.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron