Re: IML: 1960 Trailer Hitch

There are two ways to go on that.  You can do the
original type that was steel plates that had a ball
attached permanently or you can do the more modern
type that has a receiver box that has a removable
hitch/ball assembly.  When I was in the EU there was a
different black ball that stuck out on the end of a
curved metal rod like a cat's tail that seemed
different from what we have here in the US, so that
may be a third way?

I have an original one from the mid/late 1960's that
you can have for cheap.  It would likely look more
correct but would require some fabrication work to get
in there (which you'll likely have to do one way or
another)  If you go the more modern way, that should
be left up to the trailer hitch professionals in your
area (as would installation of the old type).

They are going to be familiar with the government
requirements.  I predict that this will involve
welding or fabircation, unless you find a trailer
hitch with "1960 Imperial" stamped on the box by the
mfg.  -Not much of that going on these days...  If so,
then you're probably going to have to pay a firm to
install it, right?  I'd go with their way of doing
things, as they'll know what can be gotten away with.

You'll want to show up with specifications in hand
detailing the maximum weight that you'll be dragging
around, including both max payload and the weight of
the trailer, as different hitches are rated for
different wieghts.  I just got a 10,000 lb setup on my
truck, and had to pay extra for that much strength.
If I were towing a small sailboat or camper instead of
an Imperial, it could have been much less money/metal.

Talk to the tow people locally is the bottom line.
They'll likely weld onto the frame rails or bumper
brackets.  Tell them to mind the gas tank if english
vehicles generally don't have gas tanks that far back.

-Kenyon

--- Dave & Tracy <dave-tracy.sherratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>