Re: IML: Mobilgas Economy Run

Imperials won the Mobilgas Economy Run several years in a row. You may still be able to read the articles about this in old auto magazines in your public library.

Years ago I believe that I read the 1960 model won first in its class with a whopping 22.5 mpg. Those guys used tricks that none of us could ever use to save gas on those runs. Still, the cars really did do it. One of their suggestions was that you drive as if there was an egg between your foot and the throttle (and you are not suppose to break the egg!).

The best I have ever done in my '56 was around 18.5 mpg. I got over 17 in the '62 LeBaron once on a trip to Spokane.

Paul

In an email dated 13/4/2005 10:07:22 pm GMT Daylight time, "CHRISTINE & CHRISTOPHER" <cchmaness@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>Hello all,
>
> ? ?I just recieved the new Hemmings Classic Car for June and it has two items Imperial related. ?One is on page 20 while discussing Sixteen Masterworks of American Innovation, the article is discussing the 1951 Chrysler and how Chrysler is the ones that perfected the Hemi. ?The 51 Crown Imperial limo is mentioned as needing disk brakes where as all the Chrysler line "made due with drums". ?The other important article is on page 78 which lays out why our TorqueFlite transmissions are so much better than all the others. ?The article , yes people this is in black and white, sums up like this ?"The efficiency of the TorqueFlite in combination with a numerically low ratio axle (2.92:1) was a major component behind the Chrysler Imperial winning the 1956 Mobilgas Economy run by the biggest margin in the event's history to that date. ?The big Torqueflite-equipped Imperial averaged 21.04 mpg with a ton-mpg figure of 61.38 mpg." ?Score yet another for Imperial.
>
>Chris M.
>63 Custom 2 dr.

!¶Úÿ0?j^®&¥r[?r???+&zË?ì²Ç§¶Ú2¢æò¶???«?©Lj)b?â²Óåy«­êeÊÚ&j)b?	b²Ø¦¥êâjW%¹·(?©ÝÊ?«­ë)¢{Â)emë!j·?Â+az÷«Ê?Þ>¸¯jצzË?ë?Ö­µ§!?éí±ú+¶?vh§?ËkjÚ+²ÈhºW[zǧ¶Ú0y¹?²×«?j^®&¥r[?r??¡CRP?D?D??h?Ûiÿø¦¥êâjW%¹·(?û§²æìr¸?zf