Re: IML: Mobilgas Economy Run

From: RandalPark@xxxxxxx
snip
Years ago I believe that I read the 1960 model won first in its class with a whopping 22.5 mpg. Those guys used tricks that none of us could ever use to save gas on those runs. Still, the cars really did do it. One of their suggestions was that you drive as if there was an egg between your foot and the throttle (and you are not suppose to break the egg!).

Most racing driving schools will try to teach the same thing. You're supposed to drive smooth and squeeze the throttle, rather than stomp it and it leads to faster lap times. Speaking of eggs somebody else might remember a magazine article where Jackie Stewart had a bowl like device on the hood of the car and to learn to drive smoothly people were supposed to drive it around the track without letting the egg out of the bowl.

Rob

'82 Imperial best 2 tank average 21.3 mpg