Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 1:57 PM
To: IML
Subject: IML: No -start after oil pump install - what did I miss?

I installed a new oil pump on the 440 in my '72.

There is a rubber O-ring that didn't want to allow the
pump to enter the block, and I mistook that for
resistance from the shaft that drives the pump.

I have not had a 440 apart in this area, and other
cars I've worked on in antiquity had the distributor's
tail driving the oil pump, so naturally I removed the
distributor to try to clear a path for the oil pump,
figuring that I'd wiggle the rotor and fit it back
together once the pump was in.  That didn't help
because they're not directly connected, and I found
that I just needed to push harder (force) the pump
into the block, where it is now comfortably installed.

So I go back up top and reinstall the distributor with
the rotor pointing the (one of two possible) way that
I "thought" is was when it came out (I looked first).
The gear driving the dist. was not moved, so rotor
oientation should not be off unless installed reverse.

No fire.  I have spark.

I remote start the engine and rotate the distributor
through its entire range of motion.

No Fire.

I pull the distributor and spin the rotor 180 degrees,
crank and run dist. through entire range of
adjustment.

No Fire.

I line up the timing mark on 0 degrees, open up the
dist. and note that after having returned it to the
first position, it is sort-of close to the #1 spark
wire.

No Fire.

The car ran really great besides the oil pump, and all
it took was me to defunct it.  I think that I'm
missing one logic step, and can't figure out what it
is.  I know about where the distributor was and have
had it there and everywhere else.  I can hear the
ticking of the electricity when the rotor is rotated
with the cap off, so I know it's "hot".

Ideas?

Kenyon Wills