RE: IML: Dirty Oil in my 440

There is no reason to be concerned that your oil looks black.  Modern oils have additives that hold contaminants in suspension, making the oil turn black pretty quickly. If you are maintaining your engine in accordance with the recommended intervals, including changing the oil filter at least every other oil change, there is no problem with the oil looking dirty.  Also, it is important that you maintain the cooling system properly, so that the temperature of the engine comes up to 180 fairly quickly, and that you avoid short trips.

Dick Benjamin

Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:50 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Dirty Oil in my 440

Is there a reliable and safe way I can clean out my 440?  I have been changing my oil every 1000 (or less) miles but I still have dirty oil on my dip stick.  Is this normal, or is there a solution out there?

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy