IML: Options sure were expensive in '59

Title: Message

Eileen is at the transmission shop having her rebuilt transmission installed and then off to get an alignment and new exhaust for our trip to Chattanooga at the end of the month.  It will be the first time in the five years that I have owned the car that it will go backwards without turning off the car and pushing and the first time it will stay where I put it without putting a chock under the tire.  I've never even heard the car run with a complete exhaust system with no holes.  Needless to say I am quite excited.  It almost feels like I'm getting a new car!

I was sitting here tonight in my exctiement figuring out what she cost originally and what that equals in todays dollars.  A few things really suprised me!
Dual A/C   $4955.06 (when adjusted for inflation)
Power swivel seats $1444.52
Radio   $1078.20

The excess of the Imperials is so amazing to me.  In a time when people didn't have air conditioning in their homes or offices my Imperial had TWO air conditioners.  Imagine spending $1500 for a seat that made it easier for the lady to get out of the car in her tight skirt.  And a grand for a magical foot controlled signal seeking radio!  Not only did these cars look like they were ready for space travel but to the average person from my part of the world they must have seemed like they came from space with all the magical whizz bang do dads.  I would like to hear from some of our members who were around when these cars were available new that could tell me if these things were really as magical then as they seem to me now.

Oh well.  Sorry for rambling...  My Imperial has basically been in storage for three years now waiting for me to get some money to do something with it and I'm just so excited at the thought of having her back on the road again that I'm a little giddy.

                           Steve B.