IML: Who do you trust, what is the actual truth to the subject

IML: Who do you trust, what is the actual truth to the subject

Good Morning People,

Just my own humble opinion, but when a topic comes up regarding mechanical, procedural,  or just plain common sense items on this list, although ALL HAVE VERY FINE IN PUT, and are willing to share, it has been MY experience that when push comes to shove, Mikey Sutton, and a few others like Dick B. are the know all, seen all, been there, done that experts.

If Mikey Sutton, or Dick B. say it is so, it is.  Period.  End of debate.  Go with confidence in the advise from either.  There are of course many others who have sound advice, but when either of these two pipe in and say what is what, that's what I, and I speak for myself only, go with.

I will give you an example.  Last month I had Doris sent to the "Spa" for a invigorating, rejuvenating vacation.  The total bill was $4,000.00 and every seal on her was replaced.  Every leak, noise, rattle, loose screw (except the ones in my own head) tightened.  Part of the service was replacing the Transmission mount, which was bad I was informed of by the shop manager, Kevin, a very professional, nice fellow who actually listened to what I, the customer had to say about my own car.

Kevin called, after the fact, and said he had ordered a transmission mount from a parts house, specifically stating Imperial.  I had told him ALL Parts houses will ship a Chrysler part, as Imperial over the years has been miscoded, transferred, or deleted from their computer systems.  I told him if he needed any parts that were not plainly an over the counter part, to go to the website and find what he needed.  Anyway, Kevin got the transmission mount, and guess what?  It did not fit!  They determined that the one on the car had been custom made, so they had another one custom made, and I got to pay for it.  I did not challenge them at cough up time, but did write Mikey Sutton about it.  Mikey wrote back in plain English about all the different years, and setups that Imperial went through, and that my engine swap, or even if my 727 was of a different year, it would not matter.  He pointed me in the direction of the website to confirm.

I called Kevin and informed him of this, not in a confrontational way, but that it just seemed odd to me, and forwarded Mickey’s email.  Kevin said he would look into it, and get back to me.

Sunday I drove Doris down to Tacoma to look at a '70 Olds Toronado GT, which was trashed, and drove home.  On the way home, my amp meter dropped, I got home ok, but what a racket under the hood.  I took a nap, wend downstairs with a small hammer, whacked the voltage regulator a couple of times, and the car started right up.  Discharge.  Monday morning, I go down, get in, the car starts right up, discharge.  I drove the car in the early morning dusk to the shop and was there at opening.  Alternator fried, racket coming from it.  They got me in same day, very kind indeed.

When I picked up the car yesterday, Kevin had researched Mikey's email, and although could not find on the IML the correct link, or mount, he did find on another website the correct mount, and because I got true information from Mikey.  They discounted my alternator work to make up the difference between what they would have paid if they had bought the correct mount, rather than having one custom made.  I got a credit of $80.00 and trust me, I needed that.

If I ever get challenged by someone about anything Imperial related I go strait to Mikey Sutton, and get the FACTS.  This again, is only MY experience, but it has never failed me, and Mikey is very good at communicating the what-for, and there-for of virtually all things Imperial, or like this thread, odds and ends like motor flushing.

With that said, be careful how you approach Mikey, he is a nasty curmudgeon, with a bad attitude.  It is best to throw a steak down in front of him first.  I'm quite certain that is in his permanent file.  You all know about your permanent file that follows you through life, right?  The one from school years?

Take care all,

Wm. R. Ulman

Seattle, WA

twolaneblacktop@xxxxxxxxxxx